New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

LOL   I've seen some of their prototype vehicles in the Dunfold collection and all I can say from these pics is "the thing has four wheels".  hahahah

They are doing their damnedest to keep this final design underwraps (no pun indended), but from what I do know is they are talking 90", 110" and 130" still.  On aluminium monocoque platform.    But I don't expect to see the real macoy until they unveil it for 2020.

I'm courious....but being a pessimist at heart I'm also very apprehensive too! ::)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Oh, 2020 is the target date? I didn't realize it was that far out.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Quote from: Trevor on December 06, 2018, 09:24 PM
Oh, 2020 is the target date? I didn't realize it was that far out.

2020 is probably only six to seven months in the future from a car model introduction perspective.

Trevor

How are we reading that? I was reading Bill's comment as 2020 being when they were going to have the new brand ready for the public to view.

Or is it 2020 is release year (i.e. they will be rolling off the lines in mid-2019)?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

I read it to mean 2020 model year.  Usually they unveil the model year in the middle of the previous year.

Trevor

ok, yes, that is much sooner then. What we're seeing is probably at least somewhat representative of the end product.
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

yeah, like john says....2020 model year, so will be released in 19.  Probably at that big car show in france.....

sorry about the confusion. ;)
Cheers, Bill

SpeedyJ

New update: https://www.roversmagazine.com/2018/12/all-new-defender-coming-to-america-in-2020/

It's officially official, it's coming to the USA AND Canada.

Looking through the pics, I think the best approach is to think of this as what the Discovery 5 should have been. If you think of it in those terms you'll:

A. Be happy about the new Disco.

B. Still be disappointed by the new Defender.

By my calculations, that's one less disappointment then our current situation.

Trevor

Quote from: SpeedyJ on December 27, 2018, 09:11 AM
New update: https://www.roversmagazine.com/2018/12/all-new-defender-coming-to-america-in-2020/

It's officially official, it's coming to the USA AND Canada.

Looking through the pics, I think the best approach is to think of this as what the Discovery 5 should have been. If you think of it in those terms you'll:

A. Be happy about the new Disco.

B. Still be disappointed by the new Defender.

By my calculations, that's one less disappointment then our current situation.

Hehehe, that's a good way of looking at it.
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

In their announcement they stated  "On behalf of Land Rover and our retailers, we are proud to announce the voices of American and Canadian customers has been heard:....."

I remember the discussion we had a with LR NA at the Solihul society's moab run, with Trevor, Jeffrey, Emad, Matt and Abdu.....   I don't think that guy was listening to anything the landy people were saying  LOL

But talk is cheap!!!!    Let's see what they offer us...... 8)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on December 27, 2018, 01:03 PM
In their announcement they stated  "On behalf of Land Rover and our retailers, we are proud to announce the voices of American and Canadian customers has been heard:....."

I remember the discussion we had a with LR NA at the Solihul society's moab run, with Trevor, Jeffrey, Emad, Matt and Abdu.....   I don't think that guy was listening to anything the landy people were saying  LOL

Rofl...quite true!
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

Trevor

Quote from: B-Red on December 27, 2018, 02:48 PM
I am interested to see the tag price for it.

I'm guessing it's an LR4 with a slightly different body, probably incorporating the less fancy interior package of the LR3. So figure US$50k --> 60k starting range?

I'm sure you will be able to fancy it up as well with lots of bling, so where the top end of the range is would be anyone's guess.

That's my guess anywhooo.
― George Orwell, 1984