New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

Yes. That is why it is taking so long. They are waiting for the new plant to be constructed.   They won't be Defenders as we know them. They are sharing the Range Rover Sport platform.

binch

I suppose it makes sense....they will have less trouble selling on the EU market if they have a plant within the EU.    Still want to see what they come up with though...... ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Taken from the Atlantic British website.

JLR Already Testing New Defender Prototypes

Dr. Ralf Speth, CEO of Jaguar Land Rover finally has something of substance to say about the long-awaited Defender replacement. “Its sensational.”

The new Defender’s development has so far taken place in almost complete secrecy. There has been so little information coming from Solihull that many wondered if the company had anything substantial in the works. Now, Speth has finally come forward and thrown out a few morsels of information.

Defender Prototype
First, the vehicle’s development has reached a stage where prototype vehicles are being tested.

Speth says, “I have driven test mules already, and also tried the car against competitors, in on- and off-road environments.”

Coming into 2016, JLR was having trouble reconciling competing concerns of the Defender’s replacement - the need for it to live up to its thoroughbred off-road heritage, comply with current environmental and safety regulations, and still generate profits for the company.

To accomplish that, Land Rover will need to build the Defender around components from other Land Rover vehicles. Which is well in keeping with how Land Rover has always operated. The first Defenders used the axles and suspension from the Range Rover line, which in turn shared parts with earlier Land Rovers.

In order to be compatible with Land Rover’s designs, the new Defender will need to employ the same lightweight aluminum chassis construction as used on the rest of the current Land Rover fleet. Fuel economy numbers will be helped by the lightweight chassis and surely the vehicles will employ Land Rovers new, more efficient engines, and a diesel engine variant will certainly be welcomed on these shores.

Also as with Defenders of the past, there is likely to be a number of Special Vehicle Options available. The ability to deliver rugged, purpose built offroaders for industry and agriculture will be a core element of the new models marketability beyond the recreational 4x4 set, and its ability to compete with other 4x4’s in its class such as Toyota Land Cruiser and Mercedes G-Class.

As one might expect if one has been inside of any Land Rover built in the last 10 years, the company expects that the vehicle will, in the words of Land Rover design chief Gerry McGovern. “be able to do everything it says on the tin.”

McGovern also says that a SVR version would eventually be available, along with a luxury SVAutobiography to go with the SVA Range Rover offerings, and an SVX Model, drawing on the popularity of the hard-core off-road SVX versions created for the original Defender line.

To sum it all up, CEO Speth says, “We are working an authentic successor of the predecessor. I have to say it was one of my saddest moments in my career at Jaguar Land Rover, when we stopped the production line of this vehicle, because I just love it. But we will make a successor to this vehicle and you can be sure it will be even more capable. Nevertheless it will have the DNA of the current car.”

Adds McGovern, “When you see the new Defender, people will know it’s worthy of carrying the badge.”

Rumors are that the car will be available for the 2019 model year, and will likely be built alongside its brand mates at the Solihull factory.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Now there was a barrage of acronyms wasn't it    LOL
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

The high next question will be the Diesel engine options and the north american sales strategy
May be it will be in place for my next car lease in 2018.

Trevor

Defender = new body on an LR4 undercarriage methinks?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Already here. Supercat builds it's LV400 on the D4 platform. Even comes with machine gun mounts!

http://supacat.com/products/lrv400/
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Quote from: Trevor on November 29, 2016, 11:51 AMDefender = new body on an LR4 undercarriage methinks?

Apparently not.  All aluminum chassis as mentioned above.  Probably the same basic platform as the RRS from the rumours I've heard.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on November 29, 2016, 12:41 PM
Quote from: Trevor on November 29, 2016, 11:51 AMDefender = new body on an LR4 undercarriage methinks?

Apparently not.  All aluminum chassis as mentioned above.  Probably the same basic platform as the RRS from the rumours I've heard.

Ah, ok. I thought the LR 4 and RRS shared the same chassis, but I have not followed these units very closely of late.

Using an existing platform though and building off it is what I'd tend to expect from them with the Defender remake.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on November 29, 2016, 12:28 PM
Already here. Supercat builds it's LV400 on the D4 platform. Even comes with machine gun mounts!

http://supacat.com/products/lrv400/

See, now that is thinking outside the box when it comes to recreational activities!
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Quote from: Trevor on November 29, 2016, 01:22 PM
[Ah, ok. I thought the LR 4 and RRS shared the same chassis, but I have not followed these units very closely of late.

Using an existing platform though and building off it is what I'd tend to expect from them with the Defender remake.

All the new stuff including the RRS use all aluminum monocoques and are much lighter than the outgoing models.  I would expect a Defenderish looking body with room for larger tires and smaller rims with a cheaper trim package.  The rest will probably be the same.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on November 29, 2016, 01:35 PM
Quote from: Trevor on November 29, 2016, 01:22 PM
[Ah, ok. I thought the LR 4 and RRS shared the same chassis, but I have not followed these units very closely of late.

All the new stuff including the RRS use all aluminum monocoques and are much lighter than the outgoing models.  I would expect a Defenderish looking body with room for larger tires and smaller rims with a cheaper trim package.  The rest will probably be the same.

Yeah, that sounds about right.
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

― George Orwell, 1984