New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on January 06, 2018, 09:03 PM
Slovakia. That is why it has been so long. They needed to get the plant built first.

That's a step in the right direction.

Any idea if they are simply assembling them in Slovakia, or are they actually manufacturing them there as well?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

I would imagine that like most manufacturers they source components worldwide and mearly assemble the vehicles in the factory. For better or worse the halcyon days of Land Rover being literally 'made in Birmingham' are over. However I believe the new ingen 4 cyl petrol and Diesel engines slated to be used are built in Liverpool.

On a side note, there is no need for Land Rover to assemble their products in China. The Chinese are already building a knock off "Land Wind" Evoke copy and I read the other day they are now going to build a Range Rover Sport copy at 1/3 the price! I'm sure whatever the new Defender looks like, if it sells and it's expensive, the Chinese will probably build a knock off version of that too.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

There is a plant in Aycliffe industrial park that builds many of the components for the land rovers now.  And they have plants in eastern Europe and Spain too.  But they build components for many different manufacturers.
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Red90

Just need MB to start selling stripped down, "low" cost versions over here.  When I moved to Australia in 97, I came very close to getting one.  After looking at everything around, it was a toss up between a (early 90s) Disco 1 and the G Wagen.  I can't even remember why I finally settled on the Disco.  I don't think there was much difference in price.  If I had gone the other way, I'd be hanging out on MB forums today.

Trevor

I've always been a fan of the G-wagon. I almost bought one as well about 10 years ago.

Is the Canadian military still buying them, or has the order been completed and its just care and feeding of existing units now?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Seems like everyone got the "real off road trucks are cool" memo except Land Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on January 11, 2018, 06:40 PM
And this!
http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1801-2018-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-wins-four-wheeler-pickup-truck-of-the-year/

Chev made a smart move and partnered with AEV (of Jeep Rubicon fame) with the intent of repeating what Jeep did with the Rubicon, and building a dedicated off-roader with serious kit options. Kinda like LR used to do with the Special Project division and the Camel Trophy...although now for LR its the Special Projects as-long-as-its-approved-by-Posh-Spice Division. So kinda different I guess.

I read an interview with Sergio Marchionne wherein he said Jeep was going to lead the way for the Fiat group in the years ahead. It is their flagship and where he is focusing their growth. They've got 20% of the SUV market, and gunning for a lot more. Jeep has been a pretty impressive thing to watch over the last decade as they have hands down the best stock off-roader on the market with the Rubicon, the most adaptable off-roader, the fastest SUV with the Hellcat powered Trackhawk, and then a wide range of run-around daily SUV's from small to mid sized economy up to luxury Grand Cherokee's on par with the top luxury SUV's.

...and 20 years ago they had what, a Cherokee, TJ/LJ and Grand Cherokee, and holding minimal market share.

It's a model LR could well have followed and done well with. They were certainly well positioned.

But I guess they are doing well as it is, certainly relative to where they were 15 years ago. They are just not building vehicles that have anything to do with their heritage. Heck, I don't think you can even get off-road kit from LR for their SUV's anymore can you? (example: I bought winch, bush bumper, front skid, and snorkel from LR for my '08 sport).  Financially the company is doing better than ever before, but one has to wonder what might have been if they opened their eyes and followed Jeeps lead.
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

I agree with you. LR are not really sounding very serious about building anything but yet another expensive poser-rover for the brand conscious. Best in class? Probably, but the "class" they seem to want to compete in isn't exactly full anything I'd consider a 'proper''4WD or want to buy.

I did note however they have taken few lessons from the folks over at Jeep. The new D5 SVX is billed as the "most off road orientated Land Rover yet" has really snappy looking bright painted tow hook thingy's and trim accents just like the Cherokee Trailhawk.

I guess there is no need to bother with stuff like the Camel Trophy to prove your product when you can get away with painting shit orange and just telling everyone it's "best in class".

binch

Wow....... at least the waiting until the D type jag was cold before they started play with the corpse!   Who says you can't get blood from a stone!?!??!
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

The new 2019 North American Ford Ranger mid sized pickup has also just been shown. How long before there is a Raptor version and the new Bronco?

Certainly lots of new and interesting product on its way for off road enthusiasts. If nothing else it raises the bar. 

Red90

Rumours are an unveiling on Monday, 70 years from the Series 1...