New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

Quote from: Red90 on November 20, 2018, 11:30 AM
There was a discussion on our FB page on the recent state of Land Rover and I was surprised at how many people were saying that the reliability was so poor.  I could not imagine spending $70000+ on a vehicle and having it break down when new.  This was one comment.

QuoteI have had my Discovery Sport for 1.5 years and have lost count of it visits to the service department. Totally regret it's purchase.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings/dependability
Land Rover is dead last in 2018

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer
36 out of 40 (in the UK).

Two years later and Land Rover is not only dead last still.  They are pulling farther away from the second last....

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-us-vehicle-dependability-study-vds

You cannot view this attachment.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I don't recall LR ever being anything other than dead last. That's been the one thing they historically have been really good at.

Hehe, I think that might be (subliminally) part of the frustration with LR from owners of Defenders and old Disco's with the new Disco 5, er Defender. We know our vehicles are complete and total sh*t when it comes to quality and reliability, but we love them anyway in part because you can actually work on them or customize yourself.

The new stuff is still complete and total sh*t when it comes to quality and reliability (the LR "constant"), but they are far from something you can support or modify yourself.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

So I went and looked back and Trevor is spot on.  As far back as I can find, they are last or second last.

Here is 2005. Kia managed yo move from last to 3rd.
You cannot view this attachment.

Matt H

I bought a 2007 Kia Sportage for my daughter to drive a few years ago. it is 100% reliable and has never broken down despite two teenage girls driving the crap out of it.

It can't go off road like an old school Land Rover Discovery or Defender can obviously but I'm pretty sure it could keep up with an Evoke, Freelander or Discovery sport.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Alex C

I say buy what you like vs what the internet wants you to buy, I wonder how our poor old grandparents ever made a decision without google, reviews and top products lists.

What do you think a 20 year old Lexus is worth vs a 20 year old Defender , even my 15 year old F150 is more fun than most of those reliable vehicles.

D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

Matt H

True, but I'd still be pretty disappointed if my brand new near $100,000 Defender gave me cause to come back to the dealer to get problems sorted more than twice what a vehicle that cost half as much would.

Land Rover tax is real and expensive no matter the age.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.