New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

At  least those have a rear door a human could use.

I guess I was wrong earlier. There is no attempt to make the body have any lineage whatsoever.  Looks like every other car they build.

binch

Cheers, Bill

DBrands

I don't believe that's the actual body. The design of the rear wheel well is just too weird... how could they think the corner of the door should end essentially at the edge of the wheel well like that? It's got to just be chopped RR bodies to keep things under wraps.

Also, unless that rear door opens "suicide" style, there's no way anyone is getting in it...
David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

Rambler

Quote from: Trevor on December 01, 2017, 02:55 PM
Ah, cool, they're building a Jeep Cherokee
Albeit a squashed one, with rear doors designed for kids  ::)
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Red90

Quote from: DBrands on December 02, 2017, 10:53 AM
I don't believe that's the actual body. The design of the rear wheel well is just too weird...

Yes.  It is explained in the article that it has a chopped Disco Sport body, just for testing.

ugly_90

This looks like a pass so far. When do the new LC's come out for a comparison test drive :) One rule of automotive business seems to be making something decent, and then really mucking it up several years later.

Jakedan

I hope the new defender will be as much of a truck as it used to be.  The Jeep Wrangler seems to be evolving properly. Seems like I'm getting tired of the European ways of "this car suits every one" ways of thinking.  I'm leaning toward a new 4Runner to replace my D2 in 5-7 years as a daily driver/travel truck.

binch

Cheers, Bill

alany

That photo of the "new" Defender isn't accurate. It's just a shell they're using. They're just testing the engineering side of the test mule but I suspect the new Defender's style design will be something between the DC100 and the new Discovery. McGovern already said the new Defender's style is going to be polarizing which is enough to tell me it's not going to look very much like the old Defender.

Whatever, I think LR has gone all mainstream and McGovern is just designing vehicles that look like RR's because he stumbled upon a design that appeals to the mass market.

I hope the new Defender retains a bit of the old heritage in it but not holding my breath and dealers don't really care as long as they can charge you through the nose for everything.

Matt H

Roumor has it LR are now looking at "revealing" the new defender at the anniversary of the brand...so April this year?

Also Gerry McGovern has gone on record with descriptions of the new unit such as "premium ruggedness" and "the most futuristic and technologically advanced Land Rover yet". It will not have traditional off road styling cues like a snorkel or big off road lights, or even big Offroad tyres! ( err Gerry, they are not 'styling cues').

It is to be built on the current RR & D5 platform. Not in the UK. It will bear no resemblance to the old Defender/Series vehicles but will include a "nod" to its past...whatever that means.

He has also commented that it will be premium priced as well.

It's all a bit like watching England play in the World Cup. You know that they could be really great if they would just put a bit of effort in and pay attention to their competitors. But all they provide is one disappointing result after another.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

So...it's going to be indistinguishable from all the new models LOL ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Looking on the bright side, our old Defenders are going to increase in value if the new ones are expensive (and crap).
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Sounds like they will be expensive, Chinese (or Indian) built shit, and an on-road luxury vehicle.

Pretty much what I expected from Tata.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Slovakia. That is why it has been so long. They needed to get the plant built first.