New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Quote from: B-Red on December 27, 2018, 02:48 PM
I am interested to see the tag price for it.

If the rest of the line up is anything to go by....$70.000!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

I would guess there will be a basic option on coils priced a little lower than the Disco.  But we may not get that one here.  The lowest priced Disco is $69000.

Matt H

Towards the end of the video it shows the underside of the new vehicle looking very flat, that's a positive. But I feel like I'm trying too hard to find reasons to like it?

I hear the phrase "most capable Land Rover ever" used often in association with this unit. They had better become more serious about proving it because the current footage of the disguised ND tackling gravel roads and 6" of water on low profile street tyres is ridiculous.

Back in the old days, when Land Rover (and other manufacturers) built a new vehicle and boasted about its prowess they took it racing, attempted speed and endurance records, sponsored expeditions and events like the CT and basically put their money where there mouth was.

I would like to be shown what it can do, not told. And I'm not interested in stunts like towing a train or driving a purpose built track made from scaffolding or anything it's able to achieve on street tyres.

Red90

Flat is bad, IMO.  It means 100% of the vehicle is at the lowest level.  With a traditional LR, the body is up high and making it harder to land on the body.  The axles are the only low point and they go up with the wheels.

Matt H

Well yes, I agree that it's all a bit too low down. But at least it's not got a transfer case or other drivetrain components  hanging down below the "frame" rails like other 4wd I could mention.

Red90

I'm sure all the easily damaged bits are just beyond the plastic skid plates. Have you seen a Disco 5?  The oil coolers are behind the front bumper directly in front of the tires. Nobody that has ever been off road would design it that way.

Matt H

So, we know the D5 is the base platform for the ND. And we have seen the huge mesh covered  intakes in the bumper area on the pre production units.
Then it would reasonably follow the ND will likely have the same cooler location? Lovely.  ::)

Also, I'm pretty sure Mr McGovern has never been off road so that would explain a few things about...everything he has designed for Land Rover.

Red90

Holy crap that in an ugly dash.... 

binch

we need another camel trophy to show what it can do....or not do.    That shift position looks like a fancy RAV 4 from a few years back.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Rambler

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

ugly_90

Priceless. That looks like an iconic F-150 steering wheel to me. I'm sure this one's a performer. You'll have your infotainment system to enjoy while you polish the plastic.

Trevor

The section above the gear shift panel, and below the dashboard, reminds me of the old Defender. They have that gap that runs the width of the passenger side that stuff is just kinda fit into the gap as filler. Reminds me a bit of that.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Quote from: Trevor on February 15, 2019, 07:34 AM
The section above the gear shift panel, and below the dashboard, reminds me of the old Defender. They have that gap that runs the width of the passenger side that stuff is just kinda fit into the gap as filler. Reminds me a bit of that.

Yes, that is what they were going for...  The original Defender dash is ugly as hell as well.  But it served a function.  It was open so that the fresh air vents could work.  And it was easy to work on and took up little space.  This one is just ugly with no purpose being served.  They HVAC vents are useless.  Space is completely wasted.  Maybe it is just a joke gimmick from Land Rover.  It is obviously purposely leaked.  The photo is professional as it is properly lit.  The public threat of legal again is not something that would be done if it was a real leak.