New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Interesting. Shame there was no footage of it actually on the trail.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

QuoteIt should have been possible to have planned out a series of vehicles across Range Rover, Discovery, Land Rover, and Jaguar which were unique in their own right and true to their brand values.

But if you consider Land Rover there isn't even a vehicle to be had, with the discontinuation of the iconic Defender and alienation of the customers from that previously important market segment.

If you look at the Discovery 5 you can even say that has been Range Roverised to an extent that previous Discovery owners won't touch one with a barge pole.

QuoteThe problems are significant including: competing products which cannibalise sales from within JLR and therefore do not deliver sufficient growth, over emphasis on vehicle styling and marketing, lack of robust product development, ever decreasing vehicle profit margins, a worldwide manufacturing strategy which now appears to lack any coherency.

And this is the big one: quality and reliability where JLR are at the bottom of most ratings and if you look on any social media site the comments are truly shocking.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/jlr-diesel-brexit-16073109?fbclid=IwAR0SoWcLLq2U7CSK5OjeqpIhnbchkw2Xf5yk7zQnj4ZVD8D9ov6UNOELQVw

Trevor

That's a good article. Lots of interesting perspectives.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Matt H

So I feel like I need to ask the question....Is Land Rover's apparent refusal to use a proper off road tyres on anything it builds and use low profile street tyres on 20" rims some kind self inflicted handicap?
By doing so are they attempting to highlight the engineered ability of their products without the perceived influence of a decent off road tread?
Way way of saying 'I'm such a good boxer, I'll fight Muhammad Ali with one arm tied behind my back'?

I'm sure the boffins at LR know much more about off-roading than I will ever hope to learn but they appear to have skipped lesson one.

1, PUT SOME PROPER BLOODY TYRES ON IT YOU IDIOT!

And lesson two.

2, PUT SOME PROPER SIZED WHEELS ON IT YOU IDIOT!

And lesson three.

3,  AIR DOWN YOUR PROPER BLOODY TYRES ON YOUR PROPER BLOODY WHEELS YOU IDIOT!

Red90

Pretty much.  This is why they are doing things like Moab.  The traction control systems work well on high traction surfaces and you can get by with the street tires.  Get them on low traction surfaces and the TC robs all the power. The tires and their needed pressure become useless.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on April 18, 2019, 11:35 AM
Pretty much.  This is why they are doing things like Moab.  The traction control systems work well on high traction surfaces and you can get by with the street tires.  Get them on low traction surfaces and the TC robs all the power. The tires and their needed pressure become useless.

Yes, Moab is a great multiplier for TS systems. Any vehicle will exceed your expectations in Moab. Driving on sandpaper tends to do that.

In any other environment the skinny tires show their limitations pretty quick.
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Well, I'm not really interested in imagining how great their products could be with a proper wheel and tyre package.
And I'm not very interested in seeing it do stuff on street tyres that nearly all modern SUVs could do.

If LR are going to claim it's the best (and you know they will charge accordingly) then I'd better start seeing it do some more impressive stuff that, no question, no other off road centric road going vehicle could do if they expect a sale out of me.

And I'm not talking about low/zero operator input and automation or setting lap records at the Nurburgring either!

The appeal of a new $70,000 +  car that automatically drives itself over obstacles a $500 thirty year old Disco could do with any half decent driver behind the wheel is precisely zero.

Red90

You are not their target buyer, Matt.  They really have no desire to expand their customer base.  It will be a Disco 5 that looks more like a Defender.  That will appeal to some, only because every SUV sold today looks the same.  The absolutely bottom level of boring automotive design in 2019 makes anything slightly different look appealing.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on April 18, 2019, 05:07 PM

If LR are going to claim it's the best (and you know they will charge accordingly) then I'd better start seeing it do some more impressive stuff that, no question, no other off road centric road going vehicle could do if they expect a sale out of me.

The new Defender looks like it will rank right up there with...a Crown Vic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

I think it's time for another camel trophy ;D     And not the Terra del Fuego one either....   The talking is over now, time for LR to "walk the walk" ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

My wife and I could be their target market if they put a bit of effort into it. As it stands I see nothing very different from our current LR4 that would make us want trade it in on a new Defender.

I agree Bill. It's time for Land Rover to show their hand.