New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

I would be more optimistic if there were pictures of one of these things with a reasonable sized wheel & tyre package.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Quote from: Matt H on June 24, 2019, 03:30 PM
I would be more optimistic if there were pictures of one of these things with a reasonable sized wheel & tyre package.

...or doing a real camel trophy event ::)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on June 24, 2019, 12:19 PM
Cool. Looks like I now have a viable option for a replacement for the LR4 when it wears out!

In my mind, this is what is really where Land Rover is not going to win on this model.  What they seem to be producing is a more appealing replacement to the Disco 4 instead of an appealing replacement to the Defender.  That said, they will win back some of the lost Disco buyers and further cut into the already poor disco 5 sales.  The Disco 5 sales have been half of the Disco 4.  At some point they will have to abandon it as further lost sales will not make it economical to produce. In the end, it does not seem to me that they will be any further ahead on sales than they were in 2016 with the Defender and the Disco 4.  I can't see them attracting any new buyers outside of the brand.  This is not going to win over Wrangler, Patrol or Landcruiser buyers.  I'm not sure who they see as the market.  I guess time will tell when we see what they truly are selling and for how much.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on June 25, 2019, 09:10 AM
Quote from: Matt H on June 24, 2019, 12:19 PM
Cool. Looks like I now have a viable option for a replacement for the LR4 when it wears out!

In my mind, this is what is really where Land Rover is not going to win on this model.  What they seem to be producing is a more appealing replacement to the Disco 4 instead of an appealing replacement to the Defender.  That said, they will win back some of the lost Disco buyers and further cut into the already poor disco 5 sales.  The Disco 5 sales have been half of the Disco 4.  At some point they will have to abandon it as further lost sales will not make it economical to produce. In the end, it does not seem to me that they will be any further ahead on sales than they were in 2016 with the Defender and the Disco 4.  I can't see them attracting any new buyers outside of the brand.  This is not going to win over Wrangler, Patrol or Landcruiser buyers.  I'm not sure who they see as the market.  I guess time will tell when we see what they truly are selling and for how much.

Yes, that's my take on it as well John. Calling a spade a spade, this is an LR4 replacement, not a Defender replacement.

The Defender is officially dead and gone, as it that market segment.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Quote from: Red90 on March 16, 2019, 05:07 PMThe Jimny is a lot better.  Live axle, multi-link coil springs front and rear. 36:1 in low range, 88" wheelbase, 1100 kg curb weight.

Had a look over one in Iceland.  It really is a proper modern vision of an original Land Rover.  Light, small, durable and simple with a nice modern drivetrain and interior and looks nice.

Lots of Defender rentals on 37" to 44" tires over there to see.  I'm not thinking this new version will be able to fill that role.  With these Icelandic machines, they move ALL of the suspension mounts on the chassis down 4 to 6" giving them a lift with completely stock suspension geometry.

Matt H

Land Rover say the D5 is more capable than the previous D4 due to its enhanced terrain response (TR2) system. But of course they would make this claim and even though they are likely correct it doesn't address the real problem with this model. 

The real problem is it looks like a posh minivan. It's expensive, wide and long.
It looks nothing like a Discovery that sold on it's mid sized packaging, had massive practicality and more than a little on its unique boxy looks. Add to that no cool Camel Trophy or G4 media of a D5 doing anything interesting and it's a bit of a dud with the Land Rover crowd.  For non LR folks you could ask why they would want to buy one instead of a (cheaper) Ford Expedition or GMC Yukon?

I guess we will see. As far as Europe & North America go the original Disco was a huge hit so recreating a ruggedized version and marketing it as Defender could explain a few things. Especially when you take the new three family corporate structure into account.
Range Rover=Aspirational.
Discovery=Crossover.
Defender=Leisure/utility.   
LR claim to have space in each for multiple models so perhaps this could lead to a more basic Defender Utility in the future while this new Disco/Defender does the heavy lifting with broader sales appeal???

Meanwhile, they will now make a vehicle that I'm at least interested in looking at closer if I ever replace the LR4. I can't say that about anything else they currently build. Don't think I will be trading in the 110 for one though. Likely the dealer wouldn't even recognize or want it anyway lol.

B-Red

Quote from: Matt H on June 25, 2019, 12:50 PM

Meanwhile, they will now make a vehicle that I'm at least interested in looking at closer if I ever replace the LR4. I can't say that about anything else they currently build. Don't think I will be trading in the 110 for one though. Likely the dealer wouldn't even recognize or want it anyway lol.

Matt am wondering about the LR4. I am considering buying a used one. What would be the things to look for if I want an LR4 that can do what I normally do with my B-Red? Can you add 32" tires to them and add diff locks and central locks? How about winching and snorkels?
Emad.

Matt H

The Supercharged V6 is more desirable than the earlier 5.0 V8.
You can lift it with suspension height sensor rods of a different length or a scan tool to clear a 32" tyre. Coil conversions are possible in stock or +2" height.
There are a number of different winch bumper options. Lots of bolt on racks and off road goodies are available too.
If you can find one with the HD option it comes with a rear locker. ARB also make an aftermarket air locker. They all come with an automatic centre diff lock.

Best upgrade for these units is 18" wheels and a decent all terrain/mud terrain tyre. 

Red90

Leaked picture from the factory... Horrid.

You cannot view this attachment.

B-Red

Not bad looking. Looks good going to the office. Won't see a trail or a mud pit

Red90

LR math.

90" = 102"
110" = 119"
130" = 119"

If I read this right.

Diesels
D200 - 2 liter, 200hp (assume straight 4 Ingenium.  slightly uprated version of existing engine). 
D240 - 2 liter, 240 hp (as above.  This is an existing engine since 2015)
D300 - 3 liter, 300 hp (probably straight 6 Ingenium)

Petrols
P300- 2 liter, 300hp (assume straight 4 Ingenium.  Existing since 2015).
P400 PHEV - 2 liter, 400 hp (as above with electric motor)
P400 - 3 liter, 400 hp (probably straight 6 Ingenium)

Red90

No indication of pickups of any sort.  No soft tops.  No vans for commercial use.  All just SUV people movers.

Matt H

Can't quite make it out but does the standard model come with 18" wheels?

Red90

I don't think it is clear enough to read, but I'm guessing it says 19".

binch

Ka-ching $$$, Ka-ching$$$, Ka-ching$$$

Looks like it will be fully ready for modifications.     

Let's see....

- raise the front bumper for approach via dropping it off a small ledge onto hard surface.

- deep water wading....."Get the BIG grease pail and have at 'er boys!"

- trail ready..... let's bring back the G4 challenge in Chelsey only.    Remember....no mention of the Camel Trophy....okay!?!?

But I'll give it credit where credit is due.   I won't have to wear ear plugs on the hiway and I shouldn't need to coats in the winter time   ;D

Like the LR NA rep said in Moab in 2015....."We have no idea what the market wants!"

Cheers, Bill