New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

Quote from: binch on June 28, 2019, 06:09 PM

But I'll give it credit where credit is due.   I won't have to wear ear plugs on the hiway and I shouldn't need to coats in the winter time   ;D

You could always fix your truck. ;)

Matt H

Unless that front end is attached with Velcro I think many a New Defender will suffer the wrath of the saws-all in an attempt to fit proper bloody tyres lol.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

The tires from the Moab video were 32" so it is not that bad. 255/60R20.

Matt H

You can't air down a 32" tyre very much when 20" is taken up by the wheel. In a push to be more technologically advanced Land Rover seem to have forgotten the basics.

Our LR4 came with 20" wheels and street tyres. It sucked. After $pending big bucks on 18" wheels and AT tyres of the same overall diameter it dramatically transformed the ride and off road performance.

I really do not understand this push for large diameter wheels?

Rambler

No manual transmission offerings  :'(
It really is ugly
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Matt H

The irony of the "leaked" new Defender pictures has just hit me.

It hasn't even been released yet and it's already leaking! Perhaps it is a real Defender after all lol.  ;D

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on June 28, 2019, 08:42 PM

I really do not understand this push for large diameter wheels?

Very much a styling thing, form over function as it were.

I'm glad to see that they are at least replacing the LR4 with something. The LR's were pretty good rigs. Certainly a different animal than a traditional Defender, but a decent rig nonetheless. If it is in fact a worthy replacement, they could have done a helluva lot worse methinks.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

20" wheels are fine if you could get a 17" option but modern LR brakes are ridiculously huge.
I could buy a new one ton duality pickup today that has brakes that will fit inside a 16" wheel. So why do I need a 20" wheel to fit brakes for a unit that is nowhere near the size and capacity?

Style over substance is exactly 180 degrees apart from what a Defender has always stood for. At least have a reasonable sized wheel as an option for goodness sakes!!!!!

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on July 03, 2019, 07:21 PM
20" wheels are fine if you could get a 17" option but modern LR brakes are ridiculously huge.
I could buy a new one ton duality pickup today that has brakes that will fit inside a 16" wheel. So why do I need a 20" wheel to fit brakes for a unit that is nowhere near the size and capacity?

Style over substance is exactly 180 degrees apart from what a Defender has always stood for. At least have a reasonable sized wheel as an option for goodness sakes!!!!!

I really do think it comes down to style over substance. The 20's are what the new market likes to look at, largely because they accommodate the skinny banana peal wheels. Which reminds me, remember the Land Rover rep (name escapes me....ex-CT driver for the US who I was arguing with on Hells Gate) at our Moab trip last year? He made the comment that all new LR's are designed to NOT be aired down. Which is rather convenient because if you're only able to run skinnies you better not air them down or your rims are doomed!

Looking at the video John posted, they've got Brembo's up front, so that answers our question on tire size...unless they have a smaller engine/brake combo option. Oil coolers are in the bumper as well by the looks of it, which is a disaster waiting to happen :).
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Quote from: Trevor on July 04, 2019, 11:05 AMHe made the comment that all new LR's are designed to NOT be aired down.

This is a surprising comment as it shows a lack of experience on any difficult terrain.  You can't magically create traction between the ground and the tire.  Lower pressure gives more traction and better floatation.  So many hours of my life have been lost standing around watching people not make it through obstacles because they refuse to or are unable to air down to a suitable pressure.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on July 04, 2019, 11:46 AM
Quote from: Trevor on July 04, 2019, 11:05 AMHe made the comment that all new LR's are designed to NOT be aired down.

This is a surprising comment as it shows a lack of experience on any difficult terrain.  You can't magically create traction between the ground and the tire.  Lower pressure gives more traction and better floatation.  So many hours of my life have been lost standing around watching people not make it through obstacles because they refuse to or are unable to air down to a suitable pressure.

I mentioned in my last post I was arguing with him. 3 guesses on what we were arguing about....and the first 2 don't count :).

Worth noting this was a Camel Trophy participant on the US team. I don't recall the year, but early 90's I believe. He has drunk the kool-aid and is pushing the corporate line for sure.
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

That's a plus. They're not going completely to the mall crawler side....just a mall crawler with coils :).

I will say that I was absolutely shocked when I was down in Ouray. The sheer volume of Jeeps in that area is shocking. It kinda boggles the mind why LR has decided to pass on that market.
― George Orwell, 1984