New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

That dash is the first thing I've seen from them that I don't dislike on sight.

Rambler

There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for a manual gear stick. I hope it's not just auto boxes they plan to sell.
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Red90

I would very much doubt they will do a manual.  It is too difficult to integrate all of the self driving features with a manual.

Rambler

That is perhaps the deciding factor in my no longer wanting to buy a new land rover.  It's so hard to find a standard here in any vehicle  >:( :'(
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Matt H

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

I heard it from a little sparrow that the L663 will start production in just a few weeks time 8)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

There is a theory floating around the inter-webs that the much photographed camouflaged unit that we all think is the disguised New Defender is actually a red herring. Built on purpose by Land Rover on an LR4 platform to fool us all.

Like all things internet, take from it what you will.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on March 16, 2019, 11:36 AM
There is a theory floating around the inter-webs that the much photographed camouflaged unit that we all think is the disguised New Defender is actually a red herring. Built on purpose by Land Rover on an LR4 platform to fool us all.

Like all things internet, take from it what you will.

That theory comes from you friend Andrew St Pierre White.

headdamage

Look up Tata Sumo... it is their more basic 4x4 and might have some defender tech in it.

Red90

That's been around for 20 years.  IFS, rear leaf springs. It does not even appear to have low range.  Not really Defender league and obviously never suitable for sale here.  The Jimny is a lot better.  Live axle, multi-link coil springs front and rear. 36:1 in low range, 88" wheelbase, 1100 kg curb weight.

Red90

Trevor

Sweet! Nice 20" rims with skinny banana peal tires! I remember those from my RRS, what a joy when in sand or mud!

Hopefully finding 18" rims (and actually fitting them) won't be nearly the chore it was for the RRS. I had to reverse the counter-weight on the brake caliper and grind 1/8 of it off to get the rims around those big Brembo brakes.

Heheh, well, that will be someone else's problem, I don't see myself in the market for a new Defender.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Looks like Ford's revived Bronco family is more in line with what most folks would have liked to have seen with the New Defender. 

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1903-ford-dealers-2021-bronco-will-get-removable-doors-and-roof/

binch

I wonder If they will be sized between the bronco I and bronco II..?

Kinda look similar to one of the jeeps...that was imitating the BMW a few years back  8)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

It does appear they are going after some of Jeeps (huge) market share. Good to see.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!