New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

I do really hope the New Defender will be able to sell well for Land Rover. I hope it attracts lots of folks who would otherwise never be aware into this amazing fraternity of Land Rover Owners.

The New Defender is here. It's real. It's for sale. It's more money than I want spend and it's not perhaps what many of us hoped for but if lots folks buy them, then it is the future of the "utility" Land Rover. And besides, it makes the original more exclusive.

Anyway, it's good to see there is already aftermarket products ready to address the most immediate vulnerabilities of the design.

Anybody who has one.....let's go wheelin some time. Love to see one in action!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

We investigated the winch option for the new Defender......sit yer selves down now......$10,000 cdn to supply and install thru the dealership!     The winch supplied is the Warn ZEON 10-S Platinum WARN Winch, a 10,000lb winch for a 6500lb vehicle.   And it comes with a price tag of about $3400cdn, but that's with a plasma rope.    The install manual for the winch tray, sensors and braces makes it look like a very extensive job too.  If you don't have the Dynamic or X-Dynamic packages the kit to install the winch (not including the winch) will run somewhere north of $3500.    Having a remote control is a blessing as hard wiring this into the vehicle could be "fun".    There is a great deal of cutting panels to make it all fit as well.

And your first pull through any muddy water will end up driving the debris into the radiator matrix through the air holes in the bumpers, just below axle height.   

It will be very interesting to see what the aftermarket community comes up with for 'add-ons' in the years to come.
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Yikes! Factory winch kits are always expensive but WOW.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: binch on September 18, 2020, 11:52 PM
We investigated the winch option for the new Defender......sit yer selves down now......$10,000 cdn to supply and install thru the dealership!     The winch supplied is the Warn ZEON 10-S Platinum WARN Winch, a 10,000lb winch for a 6500lb vehicle.   And it comes with a price tag of about $3400cdn, but that's with a plasma rope.    The install manual for the winch tray, sensors and braces makes it look like a very extensive job too.  If you don't have the Dynamic or X-Dynamic packages the kit to install the winch (not including the winch) will run somewhere north of $3500.    Having a remote control is a blessing as hard wiring this into the vehicle could be "fun".    There is a great deal of cutting panels to make it all fit as well.

And your first pull through any muddy water will end up driving the debris into the radiator matrix through the air holes in the bumpers, just below axle height.   

It will be very interesting to see what the aftermarket community comes up with for 'add-ons' in the years to come.

Inflation's a b*tch, eh :).

When I bought my winch and bumper for my 2008 RRS from LR it was $3200 installed. That was a Warm 9200i (I think that was the model, and LR did have a special shutoff required in the package which gave it a unique designation from Warn), the LR winch tray for the RRS, and the install. Which all things considered actually wasn't a bad price considering it was through the dealership and everything was from LR.

But, money printing has its effects. 10k sounds about right, in our covid-crazy money printing existence. :) 
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

headdamage

Red90

What I find strange is why people do all of these tests and comparisons as if a new vehicle has been built. It is just a slightly different version of everything else they build. It will perform similarly and have similar reliability.

Red90

The moral of the story is that you should first start a YouTube channel and wait for it to be really popular before buying a new Land Rover. If you do that they fly in engineers and parts.

ugly_90

...it looks like it has the same capability and design as an FJ Cruiser.. I see a few of those around town here. Sorry, I'll pass.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on October 18, 2020, 03:03 PM
What I find strange is why people do all of these tests and comparisons as if a new vehicle has been built. It is just a slightly different version of everything else they build. It will perform similarly and have similar reliability.

Yes indeed. It's an LR4. The LR4's were decent rigs, very capable in some areas, and generally an all around nice SUV.

If you're committed to building only higher end road focused SUV's with some offroad capability, then using the "Defender" brand and legacy to help sell what is in effect LR4's isn't a bad idea from a marketing perspective. In short, they will certainly sell more LR4's if they call them a Defender, rather than if they were left as LR4's.

As an alternative they could have actually stayed in the real utility/offroad market and built a Bronco/Rubicon equivalent. But, that ship sailed some time ago. Land Rover is no longer in the market of making real 4x4's and has not been for some time now. 

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

It's resirection of 8) Freelander 1  ahahahhahahahahh
Cheers, Bill

binch

So that's where MS Vista went to!!!!!   ::)

"hang on guys!  Before I air down the tires I have to update my software.   Has anyone got a spare USB I can borrow...?

Cheers, Bill

Red90

The fun part will be in 10 to 20 years when the software is no longer supported and does not exist.

alany

Quote from: Matt H on March 29, 2020, 05:21 PM
Quote from: binch on March 27, 2020, 12:15 AM
Did you notice how little stuff they put on that roof rack?   But it sure looks sporty.   The roof ladder on one side of the vehicle and that cargo box on the other side.....   Has anyone looked at the sides of my 110?   I'd have to have someone behind me picking up the litter I'm peeling off the truck.

I must admit I'm confused about those side accessories as well. For a start, if you don't have anything attached to them the vehicle looks like it has an awkward blind spot? And I have no idea why a person would need  tiny suitcase looking thingy and umpalumpa ladder strapped to the side of an off roader? The suitcase will get torn off and the ladder? It's right over the rear tyre so......why wouldn't you step on the rear tyre? Unless of course you really are an umpalumpa.

Matt - that's a built-in whiteboard so you can record all the issues when you drop it off for servicing.