New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Is that the Canadian price????  I just gave myself whiplash shaking my head in discussed!    So the big improvement is the price then......!??!!

Yup.....the beautiful people in California will love this one!    The sheep farmer in the Yorkshire dales will stick with his pickup truck now.
Cheers, Bill

binch

I'm pretty sure I won't be having one of those in the driveway.   And when it's 20 years old....I doubt it will still be on the road.   Heck...it make an RRC project vehicle REALLY appealing doesn't it..... >:(
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

Quote from: Matt H on June 10, 2020, 07:51 PM
As a rule Brits can't afford both new teeth and new Land Rovers!

Ah ha!  I had always wondered why I was drawn to older Series land rover's 😁

Not quite in the market for a new truck
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Matt H

Quote from: binch on June 11, 2020, 08:14 PM
I'm pretty sure I won't be having one of those in the driveway.   And when it's 20 years old....I doubt it will still be on the road.   Heck...it make an RRC project vehicle REALLY appealing doesn't it..... >:(

Range Rover Classic, that kind of price makes even a new Range Rover look like bargain! Ridiculous.

I've still yet to see one do anything out of the ordinary to justify that cost?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

I just tried configuring a 110 to base specification and yeah, I'm out.

If I really really wanted one I could probably finance a base spec unit but it's a staggering amount of money for a Slovakian made vehicle that, if it didn't have the Defender name plate I doubt I'd be interested in. From what I've seen thus far it has nothing special over any other Land Rover built in the last 15 years.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with Slovak made cars. I'm sure they are wonderful. But as far as I'm concerned where a vehicle is made is part of its identity. Porsches come from Germany, Ferraris come from Italy, Land Rovers come from Britain.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

ugly_90

Quote from: Matt H on June 12, 2020, 12:13 PM

Not that I think there is anything wrong with Slovak made cars. I'm sure they are wonderful. But as far as I'm concerned where a vehicle is made is part of its identity. Porsches come from Germany, Ferraris come from Italy, Land Rovers come from Britain.

I think this design would be a fail if it was made in any country. It's of no consequence.

Czechloslovakia produced the mighty Tatra trucks, Zetor tractors, and Skoda cars. An excellent country for machinery, near-German development for eastern bloc prices. Ditto for the former Yugoslavia.

A bad design is terrible wherever you produce it.

bumpydormobile

Wow you guys are being so critical!  This thing is going to be awesome for going to get groceries and taking kids to school!
Bill...It won't be the Three Amigos, it will be an entire Mariachi band :D

binch

Quote from: bumpydormobile on June 12, 2020, 08:14 PM
Wow you guys are being so critical!  This thing is going to be awesome for going to get groceries and taking kids to school!
Bill...It won't be the Three Amigos, it will be an entire Mariachi band :D

ROFL

Makes me think of the movie "the gods must be crazy (#1)  Where the series 1 land rover owner has to put up with the landy's little quirks and everytime something didn't go right (and it did..often) he would would say "ey, ey, ey...."
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: Red90 on December 28, 2018, 02:22 PM

So looks like the coolers are still in front of the front wheels.

You cannot view this attachment.

binch

Those look almost big enough to use as an intercooler for my 200!??!?!?!
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Lucky8 has verified that there is no way to fit 18s on the six cylinder trucks. 20s are the only thing that will fit.

Rambler

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Red90

Just saw a new Defender on the road. While I was driving the 110. I wonder if they knew what I was in?

binch

I see that Britpart has just released a line of 28 different bits to add to the new "offender".    Everything from floor matts, to rear bumper scuff plate, to tire cover, "side protection tubes, and a "front under shield" - Robust, 5mm anodised aluminium.   Protects lower bumper area and radiator when driving off-road. The undershield is also reinforced by the mounting assembly which enhances the protection. Allows easy access to the recovery loop which facilitates recovery of the vehicle if grounded."

Lots more bling to add too.
Cheers, Bill