New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I dunno, for me it's an LR5. And probably not a bad continuation of the LR line either. But that's all it is.

It's not a Defender, and never will be a Defender. That simply is a marketing ploy, and not a bad one at all. To suggest it is of Defender stock is like suggesting an Arabian show horse is a Clydesdale. All they have in common is their genus Equidae, much like the only thing the new Defender has in common with the old is that they are automobiles. 
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Back to Land Rover Discussions.....  So this is the chief engineer.  His biggest learning is that when you put bigger tyres on, it is better off road.  And by bigger, they mean the same as before...  And he needed to do testing to figure this out....  Good thing they have experienced people designing these things.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/defender-heroes-people-behind-land-rovers-definitive-4x4
QuoteRob Atkins - chief engineer, vehicle engineering

"....My team and I work on all of our SUV models: the Defender was just one of them....."

...But he's proud of two particular decisions: the use of bigger tyres to raise the Defender's driving position and improve its off-road traction....

The decision about the big wheels came early, says Atkins: "Even before we had a fully engineered mule, we did some testing after we fitted bigger tyres to a Range Rover Sport and it was very promising......

binch

Quote from: Red90 on May 17, 2020, 06:59 AM
And he needed to do testing to figure this out....  Good thing they have experienced people designing these things.

ROFL     ::)
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

They needed a team and testing program to figure out that bigger tires would be better off road? Based on the low profile tires they are using I think they need to keep at it, or maybe talk to some people that know wtf they are doing.

Red90

This would be me working for Land Rover. Hey boss, I wonder if larger tyres will make it better off road.  Do you think you could send me to Dubai for six months to see if it is true?

ugly_90

It's good to know a Range Rover Sport with its many USB charging ports and cupholders is driving design decisions here. Perhaps they'll have another redesign to bolt on a solid front axle after being  inspired ( in an iconic way) by a crusty old landrover..

binch

Quote from: Red90 on May 18, 2020, 07:25 AM
This would be me working for Land Rover. Hey boss, I wonder if larger tyres will make it better off road.  Do you think you could send me to Dubai for six months to see if it is true?

ROFL.....you're thinking too small John!   You need to experience more variable terrain.   Nairobi looked nice, and maybe the Lybia, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco tour of the Atlas mounts and North Sahara coast.     After all......the vehicle must be tested thoroughly. ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

That just too funny.

I do note however that most of the shots of the new car doing 'difficult' terrain show it going down hill only. Now I'm pretty sure I can get a Buick down plenty of difficult terrain. The trick is (Double entendre alert!) getting it up. 8)
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Annoying video of the day.  Gives a closer look at the interior and controls and you know will now where to find the closest USB port......

Red90

This is the video you have been waiting for.  LR4 compared to Defender. As an aside, are there dentists in the UK?

Rambler

There are dentists, but don't think they are allowed to serve patients just yet thanks to the lock down rules in the UK just now..
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Red90

Quote from: Rambler on June 10, 2020, 04:33 PM
There are dentists, but don't think they are allowed to serve patients just yet thanks to the lock down rules in the UK just now..

Now, lets not blame their crooked teeth on Covid. 

Matt H

As a rule Brits can't afford both new teeth and new Land Rovers!

This is the very first review I've seen that the host doesn't spend 10 minutes waxing lyrical about the anodized crossmember in the dash. Why? I suspect he doesn't care because it makes absolutely no difference to anything. 

Interesting  review.

Red90

Matt H