New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

One thing Jeep really screwed up is the head room or lack there of in new jeeps.

binch

Quote from: Matt H on October 12, 2019, 10:07 PM
Sadly it appears as though Land Rover are a little hard of hearing?

WHAT...???  I CAN'T HEAR YOU....SPEAK UP!!!!!

;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

To be fair it did take many years for the idea to take root at Jeep as well. 

Back when the CJ was the main product there was a big demand for a five door Station Wagon version a-la 109" since the Willy's 3 door version was mothballed.  But they decided that instead of a long wheel base five door CJ what folks really wanted was the massive & luxurious full sized Cherokee.

Years later the North American market still needed a simple 4wd Station Wagon but again they didn't listen and built smaller Cherokee on a unit body.

Later that same decade Americans still wanted a home grown 110". They didn't get one. They got another luxury unit body SUV in the form of the Grand Cherokee. 

By the time the JK landed in 2007 Jeep had the Commander, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee Laredo, Liberty and Compass all covering every single angle of the 4wd Station Wagon market. And finally the one enthusiasts wanted them to build all along.

All these other products sold well for Jeep but the 4 door JK sold the best.

Go figure?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

You know....after my trip to the UK and our day outing in the lake district greenlaning it has dawned on my that we have over looked one alternative that is tried and true!?!?   The IBEX!!   I spent the day in one and was VERY impressed by how well they were built.   You can close the door with one gentle finger and it shuts tight.  And the seals work too!!!!   Until I was told about it I hadn't realized it and a built in roll cage too.    They drive train for the vehicle is all land rover and you have lots of options to build you vehicle from a two seater 4x4 to a 6x6 boat.   Have a look for your self...

https://www.ibexf8.com/downloads/Brochure12web.pdf

What land rover has left behind can easily be replaced with this vehicle now and in the future.

The IBEX website is https://www.ibexf8.com
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Well at least there is a plus to is not getting the diesels. They are crap.

headdamage

Wow... that doesn't sound good, replacement engine at 10,000 km. Advertised service interval of 34,000 km but your engine might loose a bearing due to oil dilution if you try and get to the specified service mileage.

Red90

The funniest stuff is the comments from LR employees agreeing.

binch

and with the light weight oils and high pressure oils system diluting the oil must turn the engine oil into something akin to weasel pee. 

Funny video though...enjoyed that!!!!
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

That was funny. Land Rover's legendary customer satisfaction strikes again!

In all honesty though I wouldn't buy anything diesel powered these days that had to adhere to modern emissions standards. DPF & DEF just wreck everything and it's always big dollars to maintain and repair. It's even worse in heavy duty applications. They don't even get good fuel mileage any more.
Just so much going on under the skin of any new diesel unit these days. I doubt we will see engine life expectancies like we have in the past.

And if you think it's just Land Rover struggling with this you will find all manufacturers can't get a grip  on diesel emissions.

Time to bring back the gas powered V8s? 😎

headdamage

Gas powered, at this rate steam power is going to be looking good.

Red90

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6132

Wow!  I have never seen oil analysis even close to this bad on any engine.  I would not feel comfortable with the petrol versions myself.

headdamage

I think I better better maintain the 200tdi RRC and make it last till we have flying cars.

Matt H

Yup, I see lots modern engines just falling to bits prematurely. Dodge & Chevy wipe out cam shafts on their multi displacement engines. Ford has turbos disintegrating and everything with variable valve timing (so that is practically every engine currently produced) piles up.

Just so many moving parts that have to work perfectly.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on January 24, 2020, 06:16 AM
Yup, I see lots modern engines just falling to bits prematurely.

Premature is one thing.  These are showing wear numbers 10 to 20 times higher than a normal engine.

And to VVT....  Honda can do it with zero wear issues and has been for many decades.  These are just bad engineers.

Matt H

Apparently the most popular option package when pricing out a New Defender is the 'Urban' package. Bright scuff plate and mouldings and spare wheel cover.

Yeah...... :-\