Alexander Mackenzie Trail Trip for 2015

Started by B-Red, March 03, 2015, 10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

B-Red

I will be updating the information for trip under this forum.
Prospectus was emailed on March 1st to the persons participating in the trip. Let me know if you did not receive yours.
We are not taking any new vehicles or persons at this stage as we have over ten vehicles already.
Thank you

Trevor

That was a great video Dave showed us last night. Really enjoyed getting a first hand look at some of the trail. Having run it 4 times, he had a lot of good insight into the condition of the trail, areas to be concerned about, etc.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Jason, Dave and I closed the house down and that's where the real short and skinny came out  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Post here or drop me an email if there were other key details discussed. I'd definitely like to be up to speed on them.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I am still trying to process the info in the video. It's cold in the morning. Mud every where and have to drive at 30 deg.
Checked the fire report on the BC site, his year was a mild fire spot by Kluskoil lake close to Quesnel. So two chainsaws were ok.
2013/14 report is fire along the whole trail path. My guess is we are going to need a lot of chainsaws for the deadfall. Handy if you are building bridges.
Lot to process. Would love to get his info Bill too.
I liked his video. Hope we can get more of the series they produced on their other trips.

Cheers

Trevor

Yeah, 3-4 good chainsaws minimum imo.

One thing I quite liked about the video is it did give a decent picture of the amount of work these trips are once on the trail. Hard slogging through some areas. And keep in mind they had pretty good weather and also dropped out at the intersecting road at the 3/4 point. Imagine it with 3-4 days of hard rain, coming in behind a good forest fire in the area, and some hostile indians on the western leg (which he warned about and we need to investigate more).

That'd be a hoot. ;->
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

I think this version of comic relief would be handy on the trail to keep the peace.

Trevor

It'll be good fun, whatever we come across! :)
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

I did notice that they had a bit of rain on their trip in 2011.   We got lucky and didn't have any rain that I remember.   I didn't see any of the deep water crossing in that video, but I suspect they ended up getting edited out.   And there were two crossings they didn't do as they left the trail too early (due to the fire).   But the smiles on their faces said it all ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I asked Dave about the weather, they had one day of rain for the entrie trip and I think that was fairly early on.
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

I don't think rain would make a big impact.  The bad muddy sections are due to streams.  Most of the rest of the trail seem to be good hard pack/

binch

You are right John....there were two sections of semi liquid soil, almost the consistence of wet concrete.  Complete with floating rocks  ;D
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I found a great thread from a Toyota group that ran it back in (I think) 2013. Some awesome pictures and a good write-up on page 12 of the thread.

CHECK OUT THE TROUT!!!!!

So fair warning, I'll probably just stay on the trail and meet you guys back here sometime in the fall :).

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/alexander-mackenzie-trail-2013.681268/page-10
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Trevor, you could just buy this and stay forever: http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=13315  This is right on the trail.