Waiparous Day Trip Saturday, January 2, 2016

Started by Red90, December 03, 2015, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Matt H

It was uncommon but not unheard of to bolt turbos to 2.25 and 2.5 LR's in the late 70's and early 80's in the UK. Back in those days turbos got added to almost everything!

In Britain and Australia several small engineering firms offered "kits" for boosting your Landie.

Not many survived as OEM turbos powered units and cheap Rover V8's from rusty RR's began to trickle down to the DIY mob so this one is really quite remarkable. 
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Whoever did this one knew what they were doing. As Bill says it was better than Land Rover factory.   Mandrel bent stainless tubing.  Custom manifolds. Beautiful work.

Red90

SpeedyJ

At full boost it runs at about 4psi, if I'm lucky I'm back to as much power as a fresh engine.  Mostly, it's a conversation piece and makes a cool whirring noise.

It's also very good at complicating the desired alternator upgrade.

-J

Red90

Did not look. Is there not space where the stock alternator goes?  It is the same mount all the way through the 200TDI and you can get a 120 amp that is plug and play.

SpeedyJ

You're probably right, I've been focused on the well documented Pangolin upgrade/relocation. I'll have to have a closer look at it. If anyone has a loose, suitable alternator I'l love to borrow it to eyeball the install.

The alternator upgrade will go hand in hand with a polarity reversal and a MegaJolt install. I'm assuming that the (undocumented, one off) homebuilt ECU will not cope with a switch to negative ground.

-J

Red90

The nice thing with staying with the normal 2.25, 2.5, 200tdi alternator is 90% of the trucks on trips  around here use that style.

Can't imagine any problem changing the current Ecu over to negative ground.  Although mega jolt would be nicer.

binch

Low boost isn't too bad....but where it shines is at the higher elevations, keeping up that "stock" power level  ;D
Cheers, Bill