2016 Ice Fishing / lodging trip

Started by B-Red, August 24, 2015, 12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I met with Adam over the weekend and were discussing a weekend event for ice fishing and lodging / winter camping.
The lakes are usually solid after January. Fish species will be subject to the lake and regulations.

So far, I have two potential locations: Calling Lake, 2 hrs from Edmonton north or Fort Assinobone Provencial park sand doones. There is a lake deep in ghe bush there within two hour drive. Popular spot for hunters.

Another trip I may do this Winter, if my BRed engine is finished is the Normanwells Ice road to the arctic and back on the Dumpster Highway through BC. I am charting and collecting Data for this one.

I am open for ideas here. Also interested to see who is intrested in such an event.

cheers.  Emad

binch

Norman Wells is on the Mackenzie highway Emad.  How are you going to get over to the Dempster hwy on the way back?   You can cut across by Liard but that takes you to the bottom of the Dempster..... :o
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I am up here in Snap Lake with a fellow from Norman Wells. he said that the road there goes all the way north. It connects with the Dumpster Hwy. i cant remember ghe towns name on ghe Arctic ocean. I will be investigating this in more details with the local contacts and the transportation department.

binch

Oh, now that would be interesting!!!!    There used to be a road that went from just east of Fort Hope (on the road to Colville Lake) up to Inuvik a bunch of years ago but they let it over grown when they put in the Dempster hwy in.   Let us know if you find they've reopened it or something....
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I talked to my friend frim Norman Wells. He said that there is no official ice road to Inuvic from NW. However, a group did it last year by plowing snow and driving over the Mackenzie river. its about 800 km. seems little to risky with cold temperatures and isolation.
I recall reading about the Group that drove around the arctic shores to the east. maybe its the same group.

ugly_90

I'm out for any ice fishing this year, it was a bad choice for an el-nino year. Relatively warm in northwest alberta this season, supposedly some locals are out ice fishing on six inches of ice, but we really haven't had any real cold snap yet.

B-Red

I am scouting a potential good northern getaway. Six lakes trail north of Fort Mac is accessible during winter time. As I may heavily be involved up there during this winter, I may be able to secure a good deal on lodging. We would also have access to a sheltered repair shop on site.

Ice fishing would be strong up here with great fish to catch during a day trip from and to the camp. Five hrs each way from Edmonton with a nicely finished twinned highway.

I will keep you posted.

binch

Cheers, Bill