Battery options - FFR box

Started by 88Hillman, June 17, 2019, 04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on June 20, 2019, 04:24 PM

If your batteries are discharging when not in use then you have an unwanted drain that needs to be fixed before you go shopping for a battery that can handle being run down countless times. If you can't pin point it or just too lazy (like me) fit a disconnect.

I always have good luck with Optima batteries.

My 2c.

I certainly haven't had that experience with my Optimas. Mind you I DID see that kind of quality with my older Optima's built before their Mexico manufacturing move.

Currently Both my Defender and D2 use Optima's, and neither has any wayward power draws. I like to compare the Optima's ability to hold a charge with my stock F350 batteries.

If I leave the D2 or Defender for 30 days without charging, they'll be either dead (if they are not new) or pretty heavily drawn down (if they are relatively new). That's with new Optima's or old as I've cycled through about 4 over the last few years.

My F350 sits for the summer. Between the start of May when I return from Moab, and late Sept (assuming I return to Moab in the fall) the vehicle sits. It might get driven a couple times. 0 problems with the stock Ford batteries.

What's even more interesting is I have never put the Ford batteries on a trickle charger to maintain them (yes, I should, I agree) whereas I constantly do that with the Optima's...and if I forget and leave them too long, they show it.

That's my experience with them.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

ugly_90

I use a 2A CT smartcharger to maintain my batteries when not in use, a cutoff switch helps as well.

Having smaller loads that are battery switched helps in management too.

I've installed a " ChargeGuard " timed relay on police cars in the past  it was switch programmable for maybe 0.5 to 10 hours, and would connect a constant load for only that long after the engine was off. I've never seen them fail.

I think they're good for up to 30A, about $80 US? Good for connecting fridges, radios, etc.

Trevor

Welp, my shopping this weekend didn't generate any new options for the D2. If you are space constrained, the Optima and Odyssey were the only options I could find. Worth noting, for the D2 the dimension that knocked a lot of batteries out of the running was height. There's a decent number of batteries out there with length/width close to the Optima that would work. But the Odyssey was the only other option that was small and squat enough for a dual use.

If you're in any of the other LR's I don't think you will have as much of a height restriction. That will open up a fair number of options.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

I charged the batteries on the bench and left them unconnected at the bench. The red top drains just setting. Regular lead acids stay just fine. So I suspect just the technology.
The only advantage with the Odyssey is the size compactness. Otherwise, the regular shelve items are just the same!

ugly_90

You have some internal resistance on that red top? What voltage does it charge to? Discharge on it's own to? Do you have a load tester? You can't measure specific gravity on an SLA.

B-Red

Quote from: ugly_90 on June 24, 2019, 05:30 PM
You have some internal resistance on that red top? What voltage does it charge to? Discharge on it's own to? Do you have a load tester? You can't measure specific gravity on an SLA.
I am using the Optima charger. Red top went down to zero in less than a month just setting on bench after full charge. Can't pass 50%.
The unit was connected to a digital trickle charger while outside before. Then it failed.
I don't encounter such problem with regular batteries

Trevor

Quote from: B-Red on June 24, 2019, 05:26 PM
I charged the batteries on the bench and left them unconnected at the bench. The red top drains just setting. Regular lead acids stay just fine. So I suspect just the technology.
The only advantage with the Odyssey is the size compactness. Otherwise, the regular shelve items are just the same!

Emad, you lost me on your comment about the Odyssey performing the same as the Optima. Did you test both the Odyssey and Optima, or just the Optima?
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

Quote from: Trevor on June 25, 2019, 10:02 AM

Emad, you lost me on your comment about the Odyssey performing the same as the Optima. Did you test both the Odyssey and Optima, or just the Optima?

Just the Optima. I don't have Odyssey yet

ugly_90

I have my doubts that branding or technology are factors here. You should be measuring 2.1-2.2v per cell on your lead acid battery after charging, so 12.6 - 13.2V, after a full charge and leaving it for a hour, if need be.

A battery load tester will show you this open circuit voltage, as will a digital multimeter. Either are available on sale from time to time for less than $40.

I expect you have a sulfated old battery, regardless of make. Some batteries can't be discharged fully, and I haven't seen many survive long that were fully discharged and then frozen in the cold. That one will murder a battery too. Many luxury or recreational vehicles suffer from batteries that aren't fully charged then used, as can solar installations around here.

I'll add a shameless plug for "battery doctor" in southside Edmonton. A small fleet of northern 4x4's in Grande Prairie run on their affordable reconditioned used batteries. Lol. $50 goes a long way there.

binch

So...back on topic.   Kirk, my good man....have you come to any decisions on your battery yet??? :D
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: B-Red on June 25, 2019, 05:50 PM
Quote from: Trevor on June 25, 2019, 10:02 AM

Just the Optima. I don't have Odyssey yet

Ok, you said Odyssey in your testing post, and you had mentioned owning Optima's prior to that. Hence why I was confused
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Yes, Emad has a dead battery for whatever reason.  It is not really a statement on the brand.  All batteries can be killed.  Personally, I'm leaning more using dual purpose marine flooded batteries.  Costco does nice ones in 24 and 27 sizes.  They are half the cost of any AGM and I'm not seeing any benefits.  The main thing with lead acid is to not let them deep discharge.  They can't take it.  Battery chargers are cheaper than one battery.

Lightningpower

"Battery chargers are cheaper than one battery."

Yes!!!! So are cut off switches.

Red90

That does not help though for trucks that sit and is a pain with any electronics that want constant power.

Trevor

Quote from: Lightningpower on June 26, 2019, 12:05 PM
"Battery chargers are cheaper than one battery."

Yes!!!! So are cut off switches.

For a D2, I don't think that I'd want a cutoff switch.

Finding a good battery and maintaining it should do the trick.
― George Orwell, 1984