Gel battery recovery

Started by brendan leier, July 10, 2019, 05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan leier

I left my lights on overnight and just discovered this oversight. I have an optima battery and I have vague recollections on group members having issues recovering dead batteries.  Is there anything wrong with slapping the trickle charger on and hoping for the best? 

B-Red

If you have the red top then measure the voltage on it. If it's below 4 volt you will need another DC battery to wake it up. I am away from town but can catch up with you when I get back. These batteries recharge well if you are using them daily.

brendan leier

Got it jumped with a portable device.  thanks!

ugly_90

I'm not sure how far that battery was flattened, or if 4 volts is the cutoff point for murdering one, that would be 0.6V/cell, quite low.

It's good that the battery didn't freeze, there is some hope in keeping it. I've flattened new batteries a few times, and they didn't last very long, maybe a year. Give it a few months of regular use and test with a battery load tester after having the battery sit. You'll know as well after starting it in winter.

The procedure for recharging a flattened battery is a low-current standard battery charge. Often a smart charger won't charge a battery that's discharged too far. Maybe like 2A or so, or a small solar panel. Charging a flattened battery with too much current will damage the battery, and is often a factor in their eventual failure.