New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Quote from: alany on December 03, 2020, 03:51 PM
Auto Expert John Cadogan video.

Wonder if this reaction from JLR is related to the TFL videos. I know PowerfulUK pulled some of their videos after a senior JLR exec called them about their vids...

https://youtu.be/ggrdEup0g30

Lol, some great 1-liners in that. A couple rather priceless ones...

"Land Rover Defender, such an enduring shit-heap",

"You can take the Land Rover out of Ford...but you cannot take the shit-box out of Land Rover. It's stuck up there like a barbed wire enema"

Rofl, the guy pulls no punches.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

alany

Unfortunately, it's sad that this is the state of JLR and this is what we're talking about with the new Defender. This model could be the demise of the brand if they don't get things turned around quickly.

binch

Ouch!!!!   You'd think they were attempting to re-introduce the Freelander 1 again....in it's original format.    That was scathing....... :o

You're right Alan!   It's like digging a your own grave with 100tons of explosives..... Lot's of room for company. ;)
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Ha the TFL guys got their third defender and they have clearly lost trust in the new defender even if they don't directly say it!

https://youtu.be/PIl7Fq3LWxg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzlychicken

Quote from: grizzlychicken on December 03, 2020, 09:32 PM
Ha the TFL guys got their third defender and they have clearly lost trust in the new defender even if they don't directly say it!

https://youtu.be/PIl7Fq3LWxg

Ha again you will giggle when you get to 12:28

alany

Yup, not good when the truck threw a warning message when they started it. Sadly that might not be the end of that but at this stage, this is like watching a train wreck. Can't take your eyes off of it.

Trevor

Quote from: alany on December 03, 2020, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately, it's sad that this is the state of JLR and this is what we're talking about with the new Defender. This model could be the demise of the brand if they don't get things turned around quickly.

I wonder if it will be that bad in the end. LR has been at the bottom of every quality tracker for, well, forever. The new Disco 5's, er Defenders, having reliability issues is pretty much exactly what one would expect. I guess the point is, folks that are concerned about resale value and reliability aren't looking at LR's anyway, so I'm not sure the brand will get decimated as a result.

Heh, I'm sure they would have preferred a problem free rollout, and that actually would have been news.

That last review spends a lot of time hammering LR corporate and the dealer for their conduct. But that's a different matter imo. In reality LR corporate is no different than any other car manufacturer...they are all bottom feeding scum that make a business out of screwing people over. Brand loyalty in the auto space will only leave you vulnerable to a barbed wire enema ;->
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

I feel it was the Tata ownership that really changed things for worse at Land Rover.
Almost right away they canceled the G4 competition. Then got their corporate lawyers to set about suing anyone using the word Land Rover in operations, even small repair shops.
Then came a culling of everything remotely practical in favour of an endless parade of "make everything a Range Rover" products.
The dealerships lost the log cabin and casually dressed sales staff and got polished granite and glass wine bar looking buildings crewed by shiny suit wearing people with zero knowledge or indeed interest in anything about what the brand was other than it's image.
Then they kill the Defender & move manufacturing out of the UK.
Last we have the disappointment that is New Defender.

Anyone remember those heady days not so very long ago when Sir Ranulph Fiennes was a brand ambassador?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

alany

Quote from: Trevor on December 04, 2020, 07:57 AM
Quote from: alany on December 03, 2020, 04:38 PM

I wonder if it will be that bad in the end. LR has been at the bottom of every quality tracker for, well, forever. The new Disco 5's, er Defenders, having reliability issues is pretty much exactly what one would expect. I guess the point is, folks that are concerned about resale value and reliability aren't looking at LR's anyway, so I'm not sure the brand will get decimated as a result.

Heh, I'm sure they would have preferred a problem free rollout, and that actually would have been news.

That last review spends a lot of time hammering LR corporate and the dealer for their conduct. But that's a different matter imo. In reality LR corporate is no different than any other car manufacturer...they are all bottom feeding scum that make a business out of screwing people over. Brand loyalty in the auto space will only leave you vulnerable to a barbed wire enema ;->

I think he big difference this time around is the proliferation of platforms like YouTube that can be created by anyone and reach more folks and the fact that while JLR hasn't really changed that much in the quality/reliability arena, videos like TFL's spread that news faster but it could also be the thing that maybe forces JLR to do something about it. Or not.

binch

Yes, let's see how LR reacts to all this.....that will be interesting.
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

binch

Once I had a cup of tea that was very interesting.....
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

New Land Rovers start with sales focus groups that identify mass market vehicle demands. Then the designers get the brief and create the overall package. Then engineering is asked to try and make it all work.

Old Land Rovers started with engineering creating something that worked for a limited specific market. Stylists were allowed to choose the paint colours and the Sales department were told to go try and sell it to as many folks as they could.

Obviously budget has always been a factor both then and now.

The cost of repair versus the cost of reliability has always been a feature of the automotive industry.

Matt H

Another thumbs down for the New Defender from the staff of 4 Wheeler Magazine's SUV of the year contest.

In a field of huge, full sized people carrying, road biased SUVs the New Defender should have walked away with the title. However the judges couldn't find many positive things to say about it at all.

Basically they were very disappointed. Lot of that going around these days.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/2020-land-rover-defender-110/

Trevor

I did happen upon 1 "best suv" review for the new Defender. Overland magazine chose it as the best of the bunch, when evaluated from an overlanding perspective of course.
― George Orwell, 1984