New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Hehe, well, at least Land Rover is still consistent...they're Quality Control program hasn't changed. These guys bought a Defender and had it out for a day, then back to the shop for 3 weeks to try and fix a check engine light issue. It's a week away from Lemon Law applicability in the US. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K_0w2XTstQ
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Yes.  And because it is such a large YouTube channel, LR flew in an engineer from the UK....and still have been unable to repair it. And these guys are huge LR fans.  For years they have been trying to convince people that they are not unreliable.

Matt H

The first model year of any brand vehicle tends to have more issues than subsequent versions. Land Rover however seems to have an unusually steep learning curve on all its products.

Embarrassing for JLR as they made such a big deal about all the testing they did to ensure reliability.  :-[
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

To summarize. You can't invent this stuff.

After weeks with factory engineers Land Rover decided it needs a new engine.

As this would take months, they gave them another vehicle.

The new vehicle arrived and the dealer went to install the factory winch. The dealer could not get the winch to work.  The got another winch and realized they had cut a harness that is not replaceable. The new vehicle is a write off.

They are going to get them a third vehicle.

Good luck if you are a normal person.

Matt H

On the upside we have our very first New Defender engine swap in progress!

Would be interesting to find out more about "irreplaceable wiring harness" though?

binch

We looked into installing a winch in a NEW land rover at the shop.  Had a look at the factory install manual and allowed 30hours to install it.   The install manual for that warn winch LR is using is short novel and the process to install the winch involve disassembling the front bumper, and part of the front end.   HOLY COW!!!!!!    The dealerships price for the wince and install  was over $10k and after seeing what was involved I can see why!

This is so far from trail ready it's getting a bit silly!   
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

So everybody's worst fears about the New Defender are coming true then?

Complex, non field repairable mission critical electronics failing & off road essentials (such as a winch) being ridiculously expensive and difficult to install. And that's only the Land Rover factory supported problems! Just imagine the aftermarket issues?

Disappointing.

Trevor

That's about as far off the rails as things can get...hehe, and we're not done yet either!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Three videos into fitting a factory winch and they are still going....

alany

ASPW somehow got his hands on a new Defender. Doubtful it was JLR. Guessing a viewer loaned it to him but I'd say his feedback is pretty fair (nothing we all haven't been saying already) and the hilarious part is the TFL guys left a comment on his video wanting to do a collaboration.

https://youtu.be/Dxt_j9qy51U

headdamage

binch

And the first commercial is for a Subaru   LOL

And I like his last comment....."put a discovery badge on it, cause that's what it is."
Cheers, Bill

alany

Saw one of these the other day at Home Depot. Didn't really stand out, I just happened to recognize it but it certainly doesn't have the same presence as seeing an old Defender out and about.

Driving my 110 is like a guy magnet at a parking lot. They just come out of the no where and start coming towards me to talk about the truck.

alany

Auto Expert John Cadogan video.

Wonder if this reaction from JLR is related to the TFL videos. I know PowerfulUK pulled some of their videos after a senior JLR exec called them about their vids...

https://youtu.be/ggrdEup0g30