Series motor

Started by Amac_519, March 26, 2016, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amac_519

But it doesnt look like they changed the design of the pump much so if imagine i could source that in north america

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Red90

Bore damage has nothing to do with oil pressure.   All very simple engines.

Unfortunately the 2.0 and 2.25 pump are quite different. 2.25 pumps are cheap and easy to get. 2.0 pump parts are pricey. Hopefully you can work it out with used parts.

Amac_519

Alright well i have quite a few spare oil pump parts for the 2.0. Ill have to see what the best ones are i guess. Did a quick search and thought they were similar

Amac_519

Is there many people running the engines in alberta in the group?

Red90

The 2.25 was a whole new engine designed by Land Rover. The 2.0 was from the Rover cars. I don't think there is any crossover. The 2.0 was used in the Series 1s and the Series 1 groups are the ones with all the knowledge.  Matt has a couple and I'm sure can help point you in the right direction if needed.

Amac_519

Right on. Well ill see what all i can find. I was thinking maybe some one may have a good used one that i could toss in for now but i may have the parts too

Matt H

With a compression ratio of just 6.8:1 you can get away with pretty amazing cylinder wall damage/out of round. If you are getting reasonable power, half decent compression and acceptable oil consumption/blow by I wouldn't worry about it. Frankly, unless there had been a rebuild in the last few years I'd be suprised if there wasn't bore wear and scoring.

As Red90 posted, these are essentially pre-war Rover car engines from the early 30's redesigned to serve in areas of the world where fuel, oil and servicing were not up to any kind standards. They were built to survive this and are nowhere near as delicate as modern engines.

Once you get the oil pump off you want to look closely for wear and/damage on the high pressure side of the pump. Then look for a reason why? It could just be the darn thing is nearly 60 years old and worn out. Or it could have suffered from starvation or cavitation.

If you need parts I may have a spare pump in my horde. 
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Already a Rover

If it loses pressure only after it heats up, I'm curious as to how that could be the pump (?).  I'm curious as to what it could be at all, but it has to be something obviously and I'm interested.

Jim

Red90

Quote from: Already a Rover on March 30, 2016, 02:50 PM
If it loses pressure only after it heats up, I'm curious as to how that could be the pump (?).  I'm curious as to what it could be at all, but it has to be something obviously and I'm interested.

Jim

The oil viscosity drops as the oil heats up.  If the pump is worn, it will internally bypass more and more as the oil thins out.  It could also be worn bearings, but based on all of the information so far provided, the pump makes the most sense.  Heavily worn bearings should give other indications of problems.

Already a Rover

Ah, the oil heats-up.  I was thinking of parts expanding, but to go from 60 to 0 psi....

So another way to test this would be to use thicker oil?  My guess is there would be some improvement regardless of the cause, so maybe it wouldn't tell you much.

Oh, my aching brain....

Malcolm may have 2.0 parts - he has a number of Rover cars.

Jim

binch

I was wondering....would parts from the Rover cars fit here?    Maybe there is a parts supply along this line ???
Cheers, Bill

Red90

The pump parts are available new still.  They are just a bit pricey as it is genuine only.  He needs to first find the problems, then we could help with finding a solution.

binch

yeah....sounds like in interesting situation and well worth following.   Keep up that great and helpful chatter guys! ;)
Cheers, Bill

Amac_519

Still a little sick but im going at it today guys

Amac_519

So right off the bat this thing looks terrible. Some one has been in here before. It has a pile of scars and hairline cracks