Series motor

Started by Amac_519, March 26, 2016, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amac_519

Considering changing the motor on my '58 series rover. Currently have a 2.0 gas and wondering if anyone has another motor that i may be able to swap in. Let me know

Matt H

If that is the original 2.0L IOE engine you may want to look into repairing it if possible. Only a few of the very earliest  Series II's had the left over Series I 2.0L IOE engines before the 2.25L were fitted later in the model year.

Those that have managed to retain their original engines are now worth quite a bit more than a later unit or a modified unit.

Having said that, if you want a 2.25L Petrol or Diesel they do obviously fit.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Matt, aren't there issues with mating the earlier gearboxes to the later engines?    I thought there was something different with the bell housing to the block or something like that ???
Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

If you  have a good reason for not wanting to keep the original engine, then the possibilities are endless.  I went through this process a few months ago.  Why are you wanting a new engine?

Jim

Red90

If it were me, I would overhaul the engine, if it needs it.  An original 2.0 Series 2 is out there on the rarer end of the spectrum.  You would be hurting its value to change to another engine.  If it an original Canadian truck, it is even more rare.

Amac_519

I should get a picture for you guys. Its an old alberta road works rover from what i understand. The motor was siezed whrn i got it and i got it freed up with good compression across the cylinders but they are scarred and i cant keep oil pressure for more than 20min or so. I mainly just want to be able to drive the thing for now. I would keep the old motor and maybe fix it up

Red90

If compression is good, then maybe a set of bearings or the oil pump would fix the oil pressure issue without getting into a full overhaul.

What are you running for oil?

binch

The engine is worth keeping I would think....overhaul and give it it a new lease on life ;)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

A few of us have had our 2.25 and 2.5 engines rebuilt with Curtis Halvorson, at Extreme Engine Development, in Calgary.  Curtis is able to do all machining in house, before rebuilding, so it becomes a one stop rebuild.  Others on here may be able to recommend someone in Edmonton and ugly_90 can tell you one shop to avoid.

Amac_519

I pretty much run whatever i have around. I usually try for 20w50 though. Whrn im able to drive it it usually doesnt have a problem doing road speeds. I just want to be able to somewhat rely on it. But if nobody has anything i guess ill throw some coin at it. Ive read it could be the regulator. Who has experience with these motors?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Amac_519

Quote from: camo388 on March 28, 2016, 12:19 PM
A few of us have had our 2.25 and 2.5 engines rebuilt with Curtis Halvorson, at Extreme Engine Development, in Calgary.  Curtis is able to do all machining in house, before rebuilding, so it becomes a one stop rebuild.  Others on here may be able to recommend someone in Edmonton and ugly_90 can tell you one shop to avoid.
Neat idea. Id be interested in the machining end of it if nothing else. How much would it be roughly? Or will i be best to just call them

Matt H

Quote from: binch on March 27, 2016, 01:41 AM
Matt, aren't there issues with mating the earlier gearboxes to the later engines?    I thought there was something different with the bell housing to the block or something like that ???

Yes, the bell housing is different but it's just a bolt in swap for the 2.25 unit. IIRC there are only two types of bell housings used in older Land Rovers and one gearbox. The 1.6L, 2.0L & 2.6L all use the one type and the later 2.25L/2.5L use the other.

If it were me however I'd look for a later Series III 2.25L five bearing engine and matching synchromesh gearbox as these benefited from the most improvements.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Claus tells me Curtis has had enough of these engines.....

If it does "decent road speeds", it must be in fantastic shape as nobody has ever said that about any stock Series.  It is strange that it loses oil pressure after a long period of time.  If it were me, I would pull the sump and look at a bearing or two and pull the oil pump.  if compression is good, why waste time and effort rebuilding?

They are stupid simple.  Any engine shop would be fine for the little work needed that requires special tools.  You do have to watch problems with the supply of parts though and make sure what you get is decent.

You could get a used 2.25 and gearbox and keep the old one as you suggest.  It is a bit of a minefield in sourcing what are now 30+ year old used engines and hoping for a good result.

Amac_519

For sure. When the motor starts up ill have over 60psi i believe at idle and as it warms up it slowly goes down to nothing even at wode open. Im going to read thru the manual i have and see if i could maybe leave the motor in and check the bearing and pump. I have some spare parts for these motors on hand but all used and may be in the same condition

Red90

Do you have the factory manuals?  If not, I have them in PDF.