Capstan Winch

Started by Rambler, January 22, 2016, 04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

I wrote Rob at LR optional equipment and have his reply that I would like to share.

Hi Bruce,

I’ve sold quite a few bits and pieces to Alberta in the past so shipping is not a problem but if they are going in a container, even better.

I’m not sure if you are on Facebook, but please check out www.facebook.com/lroptionalequipment On there you will see what I am up to at the moment. Currently I am in the process of rebuilding about 12 Aeroparts capstans and 6 or 7 fairey capstans. Progress is updated on Facebook. Unfortunately my website was hacked at the end of last year and i’m still rebuilding it.

I don’t build winches to order, as unfortunately i’m not set up to be able to do that however once a winch is finished I usually contact people who have shown interest, then it goes on eBay but they don’t last very long on there before being sold!

Attached are a couple of photos of the 2 winches I finished and sold last week.
Hope this helps those of you looking for a winch for your Land Rover as I'm sure Rob has one for every LR model.

Red90

Shipping is horrible on these.  I sold a Defender system.  Crated, it was 180 pounds.

Rambler

A quick update to everyone.  In the last 24 hours I have secured a capstan winch from someone in the UK.  It is a restored Fairey winch, being complete with new bearings, seals, drive line components and a new rope.  The big challenge now will be getting it over here.  I will look at some options.

I want to send a big thank you to everyone for your helpful advice and words of wisdom concerning my search.  I also appreciate you having contacted other LR enthusiasts (those in Wainwright) on my behalf. 

Hoping you all get to see this one day soon on the front of my S2 and working hard.

Very best wishes,

Ian

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Rambler

Quote from: Red90 on January 26, 2016, 12:55 PM
Shipping is horrible on these.  I sold a Defender system.  Crated, it was 180 pounds.

oh, dear.  I will no doubt find this to my peril.  Maybe the wainwright option is the way forward and I'll sell on the one I have just agreed to buy  :'(
Thanks for letting me know...

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

ugly_90

I doubt it'll be 180GBP to put through the seacan with the club. It is a winch after all, not a needed fuel pump for a running truck or something. I think you can afford to wait on that one. No news yet on the Wainwright capstan, I would assume it's a series model.

Have to take one direction in these orders, after you get started, unfortunately.

Red90

Quote from: ugly_90 on January 27, 2016, 07:50 AM
I doubt it'll be 180GBP...

Not 180 GBP.  180 pounds weight.....  ;)  A series model with be lighter as it does not need the support.

binch

Quote from: ugly_90 on January 27, 2016, 07:50 AM
I doubt it'll be 180GBP to put through the seacan with the club. It is a winch after all, not a needed fuel pump for a running truck or something. I think you can afford to wait on that one. No news yet on the Wainwright capstan, I would assume it's a series model.

Have to take one direction in these orders, after you get started, unfortunately.

No seacans with the club in the foreseeable future though.    But if someone can give me a weight in kg I can give you an approximate shipping price  8)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

I have an Aeroparts capstan winch and shipping document says 15 kgs.
I wouldn't expect Ian's to be any lighter.

Rambler

Thanks everyone for the update and further info. The chap at LR-optional equipment is quoting 110 pound sterling for shipping to Canada.  I will check the weight and dimensions (want to box it up myself in a solid crate) when I am back in the UK late spring - early summer.  I can let you know the dimensions then Bill, and will look at ideas of how to get the winch to Britpart, if that's an option please?
Cheers,
Ian

SOLD:

ugly_90

Probably no benefit to ship Britpart, I think Bill might have another option for you, although not a club seacan.

binch

Quote from: Rambler on January 27, 2016, 04:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the update and further info. The chap at LR-optional equipment is quoting 110 pound sterling for shipping to Canada.  I will check the weight and dimensions (want to box it up myself in a solid crate) when I am back in the UK late spring - early summer.  I can let you know the dimensions then Bill, and will look at ideas of how to get the winch to Britpart, if that's an option please?
Cheers,
Ian

PM me and I'll give you the details.    If Bruce is correct and it weighs 15kg I would expect 60 to 80 quid to ship it.

If you are going to box it up best to check the regulations on packaging requirements for wooden crates.   If you can't go plastic or metal make sure it's "all" plywood at the least.   Canada customs is worried that we may have missed some of the bugs that didn't make it over here in the past 300years. >:(
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

SOLD:

camo388

So I went out and took my Aeroparts capstan winch off my tractor and put it on a scale.
And the number is ---  33.1 kgs or 69.6 lbs.  Just a bathroom scale so could be out a few lbs.  If it is, that may explain why I'm not gaining weight. ::)
This is just the winch no base plate or drive shaft but with oil.
For those that want to know, the dimensions are 12.5" high X 14" wide X 11" deep.

binch

Our rates to ship that would be about about 100 to 120 quid.

FYI   Pentrite make a special lubricant for the capstan winches  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

Quote from: camo388 on January 29, 2016, 01:18 PM
So I went out and took my Aeroparts capstan winch off my tractor and put it on a scale.
And the number is ---  33.1 kgs or 69.6 lbs.  Just a bathroom scale so could be out a few lbs.  If it is, that may explain why I'm not gaining weight. ::)
This is just the winch no base plate or drive shaft but with oil.
For those that want to know, the dimensions are 12.5" high X 14" wide X 11" deep.

Thanks Bruce, much appreciated.
Ian

SOLD: