Capstan Winch

Started by Rambler, January 22, 2016, 04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambler

Hi, I've been hoping to find a Capstan Winch for sale this side of the Atlantic for more than a year without success.  Just wondering if anyone knew of one that might be up for sale locally, please.  I understand they go on ebay.co.uk quite regularly (2 this past week), but none of the sellers want to get involved in shipping those to Canada.  Usually its cash on collection.  Not practical for me. 
Best wishes,
Ian
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

B-Red

I think that calls for vacation time Ian. Make a wish list and jump abroad to find these parts.

Red90

Series or Defender?  They are around. Most series parts hoarders do not visit the Internet.

camo388

I've seen on eBay a fellow in Germany, selling Series & Defender capstan winches and PTO's.  He ships worldwide.
http://www.lr-winches.com/Parts/Winches/Mechanical_Capstan_Winches/
Sadly they are not cheap. :o
Years ago I bought one from PA Blanchard and I think the courier fees were as much as the capstan.
I know of one in Wainwright but it may take a while to track him down as it belongs to a friend of a friend.  All I can do is try.
Now if you were after a PTO, I've got more than 1. ;D

Rambler

Thanks very much John, B-Red and Bruce for the helpful pointers.  I had seen some of the shiny restored Capstans from the guy running LRwinches in Germany.  Very much raiding the piggy bank for one of those, but at least he is willing to ship a winch.  I was in the auxiliary coastguard back in the UK growing up and used and was safely winched on one during cliff rescues, so it's partly out of sentimental value that I've been hoping to get a Capstan winch for the Series 2.  There's no great hurry in terms of getting one so if you could please put the word out to the fellow in Wainwright, that would be great, thank you Bruce.
I will have to try and coincide a longer trip to see the folks (who sadly have said enough is enough to me using their home as a delivery depot/parts store) and hope an auction finishes at that time.
All the best,
Ian

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Matt H

I don't think the Capstan winch was as popular here in North America as they were in the UK. Certainly some came factory fitted and others were fitted after delivery but from what I've seen and read the vast majority were a PTO drum type winch. Often a domestic sourced Ramsey.

Perhaps this is due to the familiarality of this style of winch in agriculture and industry in NA in the 1950's-1960's? Perhaps it's a safety thing? Or perhaps it's simply a case of fitting what's locally available?

I've not been exactly scouring hill and dale but l have had my eyes open for a Capstan winch for over ten years with no luck.

I remember back in England in the late 80's/early 90's when electric winches became affordable folks couldn't give them away. These days they all fetch a good price as a period accessory for restorations.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Rambler

Thanks Matt, good to know these things, so I will not be dissappointed.  Sorry to hear that none had come your way either.  Looks like I will be leaving on a jet plane should I want a better chance of finding one. 

SOLD:

camo388

Quote from: Matt H on January 23, 2016, 09:32 PM

I've not been exactly scouring hill and dale but l have had my eyes open for a Capstan winch for over ten years with no luck.

You should have asked as I've come across several but left them behind as didn't need any more that the one I have.
I collect what I need or have use for, so collecting with idea to sell later on, doesn't work very well for me.  I'd hate to give them up. :'(

ugly_90

I sent a message to my Wainwright contact, and he is checking on price, type, and availability.

If it is of interest,  we would be headed out as a group from Edmonton one saturday morning.

like a reporter, I need to protect my source here. :)

in Wainwright, they tend to charge market rates for parts. Whatever you decide you should be paying for it will likely be your price. Unless its a $3K 110 for my brother, or a truckload of defender panels in exchange for a case of beer; those days are gone.

Piracy always starts with spoils and ends in famine :)

camo388

Here is one for sale on eBay UK http://www.ebay.com/itm/231816334986?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Seems reasonable price right now but who is to say price at closing.
Shipping would likely cost more than winch so depends on how bad you want a winch.
If things like drive nut are not included, they are often on eBay.
For you guys with UK relatives maybe they can receive from seller and post on to you, if seller is reluctant to ship direct to Canada.
If there is a will there is a way. ;D

Trevor

There's also the yearly sea can as an option for shipping. If you aren't in a hurry for the winch that can be a cost effective option. Bill would have a better idea if that is even being planned this year, and if so, when.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

camo388

I contacted Keith, the seller of the capstan.  He won't take PayPal but will take e-transfer.  PayPal has a fee.
Unfortunately he prefers collection and not keen on helping with shipping.  Someone with UK relatives will have to help with that.
It is now bid up to 74 Pounds with just under 2 days to go. 
If I were to buy it, I would hope Keith would hold on to it for a while until it can be arranged to be picked up.
Shipping would be a killer unless put into container as Trevor suggests.
Otherwise there is also surface parcel post which could take about 12 weeks but not able to track it.
So does someone have relatives willing to help with collection and shipping??  ;D

camo388

Here is an eBay seller that specializes in Land Rover capstan winches, PTO and hydraulic winches and free wheel hubs.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LR-Optional-Equipment
He had a write up in LRO International magazine in 2014.  At time of writing he had 50 various winches. :o
The magazine gave his email address as lroptionalequipment@gmail.com if you want to inquire about capstan winches.

Rambler

Hi Camo388, Trevor and ugly_90,

I much appreciate the additional help and responses.  I'd been watching that cheaper capstan winch on ebay, but the guy said cash on collection and my UK family neither live close enough nor share my love of the old Land Rover vehicles to be bothered to travel on my behalf. It is good to hear that Keith may take an e transfer..  I will see how that auction proceeds. 

I will drop a line to Lroptional euipment and see if that turns something up, thank you.
Ian

SOLD:

camo388

Hello Rambler,
I'd be very tempted to bid to win and trust Keith would be willing to hold capstan for a week or so to give a bit more time to sort collection.
You'd be able to pay with e-transfer so he would not be waiting for collection to get his money.