Tire Size

Started by GR8PMKN, March 30, 2021, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GR8PMKN

Little update:  Kal Tire called their distributer and they said that Michelin (maker of BFG) isn't even making 255s at this time, so I guess that answers that.  They do have 6 remaining 235/85r16 KM3s sitting in a warehouse and they could get them in 2 weeks if I ordered them...

ugly_90

You could also check on KM3 in 7.50 x 16. It was available. They'll likely have to phone their distributor again
You're unlikely to see them on a Costco or Canadian Tire website.

Trevor

Since you're planning it as a tourer without any hard core wheeling in mind, how about a good AT type tire? Duratrac, Grabber AT2, Open Country AT2, etc etc. They would likely be a better option for what you have in mind. Decent on the trails, good on high grade, and quieter on the pavement...er, although that's not really a thing that matters much in a Defender :).

Whether that helps you find the size you want, that I'm not sure.

If you do want to stick with a true MT I do see the Toyo Open Country MT advertised in 255/85R16. Although that doesn't necessarily mean they are stocked. That is what I run. They are a heavy tire though.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

GR8PMKN

Quote from: Trevor on April 21, 2021, 02:54 PM
Since you're planning it as a tourer without any hard core wheeling in mind, how about a good AT type tire? Duratrac, Grabber AT2, Open Country AT2, etc etc. They would likely be a better option for what you have in mind. Decent on the trails, good on high grade, and quieter on the pavement...er, although that's not really a thing that matters much in a Defender :).

Whether that helps you find the size you want, that I'm not sure.

If you do want to stick with a true MT I do see the Toyo Open Country MT advertised in 255/85R16. Although that doesn't necessarily mean they are stocked. That is what I run. They are a heavy tire though.

The ultimate goal is to make it a tourer, but if I'm honest with myself and value my marriage, I likely won't be buying a camper etc. for a few years.  Until then, we plan on using it on 1 or 2 day trips out to the PLUZs, and sort out what we like and don't like etc..  COVID needs to end, and I need my real career back again before making any new major purchases.  We'll just keep using the Rubicon that's all kitted out already with everything for the longer trips for the foreseeable future.

Having said that, maybe satisfying my curiosity of trying M/Ts couldn't really hurt anything because by the time I get a camper, I'll probably be close to reconsidering tires again (maybe not, depending on how much we use it).  And on the other hand, I KNOW a good A/T would suit me just fine.  I could slap some KO2s on there and call it a day.

Still wondering if anyone out there is using 235/85s, and how you like them.  I think I need to join a tire research support group.  I just can't make up my mind.  lol

GR8PMKN

Quote from: Red90 on April 21, 2021, 04:58 PM
https://www.4wheelparts.ca/p/dick-cepek-lt255-85r16-tire-extreme-country-72630-90000024326/_/R-BGXJ-90000024326

Are you running these?  Just on the surface of looking into them, there aren't a lot of glowing reviews so far...  They look bad-ass though!

Maddy_110

Yup. The KM3s are definitely available in 7.50/16. They are very hard to find though. That said, I'm exceedingly pleased with them!

Quote from: ugly_90 on April 21, 2021, 11:51 AM
You could also check on KM3 in 7.50 x 16. It was available. They'll likely have to phone their distributor again
You're unlikely to see them on a Costco or Canadian Tire website.

Red90

Quote from: GR8PMKN on April 21, 2021, 08:40 PM
Quote from: Red90 on April 21, 2021, 04:58 PM
https://www.4wheelparts.ca/p/dick-cepek-lt255-85r16-tire-extreme-country-72630-90000024326/_/R-BGXJ-90000024326

Are you running these?  Just on the surface of looking into them, there aren't a lot of glowing reviews so far...  They look bad-ass though!

They are a good intermediate tire.  Nicer on road than the typical MT and still enough tread so you can go off road.

Matt H

Is there any reason you're not considering a 265/75R16 tyre?

It's a popular truck size and every manufacturer makes tyres in this size. Spares are easy to find and they are cheaper than most of the other sizes you're interested in.

In real terms, it's not significantly different from the stock size you want to run right now.

Just a thought
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

GR8PMKN

Nope, there's no reason.  I actually am considering it more heavily now.  The more I call around, the more I'm learning exactly what you just said.  I thought having it a bit narrower would lend well to keeping the sides a bit cleaner (being closer to what Land Rover intended),  but I'm finding out that not all manufacturers are making 235s anymore except the major ones, and the 265/75s are indeed more popular in North America lending well to easy replacements and shopping overall.

Red90

There has been a worldwide tire shortage across the board since the pandemic started.  You can't be choosy about tires these days.

GR8PMKN

Well, after much deliberation and to my wife's relief 8) I have finally ordered my new set of tires!  They will be BFG KM3 in 235/85R16.  I should have them in the next couple of weeks.  Thank you to everyone for their input and suggestions.

Because the truck is new to me, I want to reset it to its 'original factory settings' for now and then see where I want to take it after that.  I want to see what it can do the way it was designed, before I try to outsmart the engineers.  :D  The tire size will be a good place to start, and with having a good set of off-road tires, I will really be able see/test what the truck is capable of.  That's what this summer will be about.  If anyone wants to go exploring, I'm up for it!!

I'll post pictures once I get them on in a couple weeks.

GR8PMKN

Here are a couple photos.

GR8PMKN

Also,  this comes with a question:
Has anyone run tubeless tires on tubed rims?  When the tire guys removed my tires they said that there were tubes in them, and the old tires themselves were marked tubeless.  They thought it was done because of the valve stem situation.  They had to install beefy valves for me. I then learned that my wolf rims have "ANR5593 TUBED" stamped in tiny letters.  I never looked at that before.  I know the Defender manual says that a tube must be installed if the rim says so, but on forums I'm reading that as long as you don't air down too much there shouldn't be any issues (15psi or above seems to be ok).  Plus on one post I read that LR shipped out brand new 130s from the factory with TUBED Wolf rims and tires without tubes installed.  Of course I can't verify that.

Any experience on this?

DBrands

Quote from: GR8PMKN on May 07, 2021, 12:08 PM
Also,  this comes with a question:
Has anyone run tubeless tires on tubed rims?  When the tire guys removed my tires they said that there were tubes in them, and the old tires themselves were marked tubeless.  They thought it was done because of the valve stem situation.  They had to install beefy valves for me. I then learned that my wolf rims have "ANR5593 TUBED" stamped in tiny letters.  I never looked at that before.  I know the Defender manual says that a tube must be installed if the rim says so, but on forums I'm reading that as long as you don't air down too much there shouldn't be any issues (15psi or above seems to be ok).  Plus on one post I read that LR shipped out brand new 130s from the factory with TUBED Wolf rims and tires without tubes installed.  Of course I can't verify that.

Any experience on this?

I ran tubeless winter tires on tubed rims all winter without issue. I ran no tubes, but did put in new stems to accommodate the tubed rim valve opening.
At full road pressure and no off-roading I really didn't have any worries. I did run them down sub-20psi out on some flat quad trails in the snow a few times to see if the bead would slip off like everyone screams about. Never did.
David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI