Tire Size

Started by GR8PMKN, March 30, 2021, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike.heathcote

I'm also running tubeless tires on tubed Defender rims - without tubes... and they're holding air just fine. 

My main concern was losing air through the rivets in the rim, so I put a thin layer of seam-sealer around the rivets.  The tires still balanced fine, and I'm not getting any vibrations when I drive, either. 

GR8PMKN

Quote from: DBrands on May 07, 2021, 12:28 PM
Quote from: GR8PMKN on May 07, 2021, 12:08 PM
Also,  this comes with a question:
Has anyone run tubeless tires on tubed rims?  When the tire guys removed my tires they said that there were tubes in them, and the old tires themselves were marked tubeless.  They thought it was done because of the valve stem situation.  They had to install beefy valves for me. I then learned that my wolf rims have "ANR5593 TUBED" stamped in tiny letters.  I never looked at that before.  I know the Defender manual says that a tube must be installed if the rim says so, but on forums I'm reading that as long as you don't air down too much there shouldn't be any issues (15psi or above seems to be ok).  Plus on one post I read that LR shipped out brand new 130s from the factory with TUBED Wolf rims and tires without tubes installed.  Of course I can't verify that.

Any experience on this?

I ran tubeless winter tires on tubed rims all winter without issue. I ran no tubes, but did put in new stems to accommodate the tubed rim valve opening.
At full road pressure and no off-roading I really didn't have any worries. I did run them down sub-20psi out on some flat quad trails in the snow a few times to see if the bead would slip off like everyone screams about. Never did.

Good to know, thanks!  I never really run anything lower than about 17-20psi on my other rigs, so if I do the same here, I'm hoping it should be ok.  The guys at the shop said that if I have any issues, they'll make it right. :)

GR8PMKN

Quote from: mike.heathcote on May 07, 2021, 01:09 PM
I'm also running tubeless tires on tubed Defender rims - without tubes... and they're holding air just fine. 

My main concern was losing air through the rivets in the rim, so I put a thin layer of seam-sealer around the rivets.  The tires still balanced fine, and I'm not getting any vibrations when I drive, either.

I didn't do mine myself, so I don't know what's going on with the inner rim.  Hopefully all good.  Do you ever run low psi?

Red90

It is no problem. Land Rover steel wheels hold a bead better than any wheel you will ever see.

Tubes are a serious pita at low pressures.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on May 07, 2021, 08:39 PM
It is no problem. Land Rover steel wheels hold a bead better than any wheel you will ever see.

Tubes are a serious pita at low pressures.

YES!!!  And he speaks from experience.....MINE!!!!!
You can't air down with tubed tires with risking the tube.....so just don't do it.   Tubeless on a tubed rim ;D...sure.
Cheers, Bill

GR8PMKN

Well, it seems as though the consensus is that I should be fine with a tubeless tire without a tube on a tubed rim without airing down too much (I never go below 15psi).  That's good news, and a bit of a stress relief!

If I end up popping a bead, y'all owe me a beer.   ;D