Tire Size

Started by GR8PMKN, March 30, 2021, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GR8PMKN

What's everyone running for tire sizes on their stock Defenders?

The 130 I have came with Gripmax 265/75 R16, and I had the tires analyzed today by a tire shop, and were told they're basically crap, even though there's good tread left.  I had them tested because any speed over 90km/h, I was getting a vibration.  So I'm looking to put BFG KO2s on there, but wondering what size people are using.  The Defender owner's manual I found online says, "205 R16 & 265/75 R16 or 750 R16" for Defender 90s, and it says, "750 R16" for the 110 and 130s.  If I research a conversion for that size, it seems like a consensus 235/85 R16 or 235/80 R16. Hmm...

I wouldn't mind going a wee bit bigger than what's on there now without changing anything or causing any issues.  Any thoughts?

headdamage

I like 255/85r16 tires on 90/110/130 rovers but they are not a common size and may or may not be suitable for your use. 235/85r16 and 265/75r16 are also good and better for all around driving. If you want to push it a bit some people like 285/75r16 or bigger.

Red90

Step one is to figure out what rims you have. We can then comment what will fit those.

Beyond that an idea of how you plan to use the 130 would help.

Trevor

I run 285/75R16's on my 110. With the stock turn radius setup they rub just a smidgen on the radius arm when cranked into a full turn.

I had 255/85R16's before that and quite liked them, but they are really hard to find as the skinny profile isn't that popular.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

GR8PMKN

Quote from: Red90 on March 31, 2021, 05:02 AM
Step one is to figure out what rims you have. We can then comment what will fit those.

Beyond that an idea of how you plan to use the 130 would help.

I have new Wolf rims.  I plan on slowly converting my 130 into my overland vehicle instead of my Jeep Rubicon.  The ultimate goal would be to have a little camper on the back, maybe like the Alu-Cab Khaya model, or a Four Wheel Camper older Eagle model.  Gotta let the funds build up again first though, so that could be years away.  I don't really plan on using the truck in the winter, as I want to keep the salt and rock-chips away from it.  I like off-roading (of course), but my goal is never to break anything on a trail, so you won't see me doing something crazy to get Instagram followers.  ;D  This year we'll just take it on some day trips, maybe an overnight here and there and see what we like and don't like.  For now, the longer trips will be in the Jeep as it's all set up for that.  Hope that helps...

The photo was sent to me by Alu-Cab.  It's not mine, sadly...

Red90

With the Wolf rims, you can't go any wider.  235/85R16, 265/75R16 or 255/85R16 will work. To go to 285s, you would need wider rims with less offset.

If you are not using it in the winter and planning to go offroad, I would go with something other that the KO2s.  They are useless in mud.  My suggestion is either the Toyo Open Country M/T or BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3, both available in all the sizes above.  255s make the most sense.

GR8PMKN

Quote from: Red90 on March 31, 2021, 10:30 AM
With the Wolf rims, you can't go any wider.  235/85R16, 265/75R16 or 255/85R16 will work. To go to 285s, you would need wider rims with less offset.

If you are not using it in the winter and planning to go offroad, I would go with something other that the KO2s.  They are useless in mud.  My suggestion is either the Toyo Open Country M/T or BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3, both available in all the sizes above.  255s make the most sense.

Good to know about the width, thanks!  The Toyo's are pricey!!  I was considering the BFG KM3s, but do they get a bit noisy?  I'm trying to keep the Defender quiet with things that I can control.  I've had Duratracs on my Cherokees, and they get louder as they wear.  I thought I'd try the KO2s on my Rubicon for a change a couple years ago, and they're still running quiet.  I haven't been in too much peanut-butter mud with the KO2s, and I'm sure the KM3s would excel there.  Would the amount of time I spend in that kinda mud make it worth it for the road-noise trade-off?  Hmm...  Does anyone have experience running KM3s?

Red90

Quote from: GR8PMKN on March 31, 2021, 10:54 AMI'm trying to keep the Defender quiet with things that I can control.

This does not compute.

GR8PMKN

Quote from: Red90 on March 31, 2021, 11:08 AM
Quote from: GR8PMKN on March 31, 2021, 10:54 AMI'm trying to keep the Defender quiet with things that I can control.

This does not compute.

;D :o ::)  You know what I mean... geesh!

binch

9 months of the year I run Michelin XLT 235/85-R16 tubeless on a set of galvanized xmod rims 5.5 or 6.5" (can't recall) x 16".   They are light, quiet, great road manners, load rated and brilliant in the winter!   They are perfect for the majority of the driving I do.  Plus....I get a lot of miles out of a set of these tires.

In the few months I maybe off roading in the softer stuff I'm currently running a set a BFG KM2 235/85-R16 tubeless on a set of Wolf rims.   They are way heavier tire/wheel combination the my other set (almost twice the weight), but they are much thicker metal on the wheels and combined with the heavier tires it sure adds up.  They have a much more aggressive tread (and they are noisy) and have a beefier side wall to cope with some of the rocks.  That said I lost one tire on the AMT with an edge of the tread puncture, righting off that tire.   But they are my offroad set and I don't have great expections for on road use or miles of wear.

I did have a set of 235/85R16 Super Swampers once for offroad use too.   Good side tread, good in loose material or mud, durable, but difficult to balance.  So I decided to try the BFG's, who were in contension with the Good Year MT/R.   What decided between the two was a coin toss :-)

But I'm going to stay with the 235/85R16 size as I have a 1.2 ratio T-case for all the highway I tend to do.   If I had a 1.4 (or a 1.6 military) T-case I would probably go with a bit taller tire.
Cheers, Bill

Maddy_110

We decided on the BFG KM3s in 7.50X16 (tall and skinny) for our 110. We have been very impressed with them on and offroad. They are surprisingly quiet considering how aggressive they are.

GR8PMKN

Quote from: Maddy_110 on March 31, 2021, 09:43 PM
We decided on the BFG KM3s in 7.50X16 (tall and skinny) for our 110. We have been very impressed with them on and offroad. They are surprisingly quiet considering how aggressive they are.

Where did you find those that you could get that tire size?  Isn't that more of a European sizing?  The 7.50X16 is what the manual recommends for my 130, but that's back where we started when I asked what that size equivalent is in Canada. Hmm...  They are nice tires though.  I'm debating between those and the KO2s still...

binch

British Size                      Width (inches)                   Closest Metric Size
7.50 – 16                          8.1 to 8.5                           235/85R16 or
                                                                                 265/75R16
Cheers, Bill

GR8PMKN

Quote from: Red90 on March 31, 2021, 10:30 AM

Are you running 255s?  I was just doing a conversion, and the 265 and 235s are basically 31.6" and 31.7" respectively, and the 255 is 33.1".  I like the sound of that, but with it being a bit bigger in diameter, would that cause rubbing anywhere in a full lock turn?

GR8PMKN

Quote from: binch on March 31, 2021, 10:33 PM

British Size                      Width (inches)                   Closest Metric Size
7.50 – 16                          8.1 to 8.5                           235/85R16 or
                                                                                 265/75R16

Thank you!  I'll probably stick to one of those 2, but I'm curious now about the 255/85R16...