Projekt Grenadier

Started by binch, September 27, 2017, 10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBrands

Quote from: Red90 on May 01, 2020, 09:12 AM
;D ;D

This is what we should be seeing (Kirk's truck).

You cannot view this attachment.

hah! Did anyone tell Kirk he put the swivels on upside-down?  .....   ;) :-X
David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

Matt H

Looks like they are using a Dana 44 front and rear. Open C's and unit bearings. Four link with short arms a-la Jeep.

Depending on how similar it actually is to the Jeep set up there could be the worlds largest aftermarket suspension and axle upgrade options ready to go right off the bat! Including exotica like coil overs, Dana 60 one ton and portal axles!!!!!! All bolt in ready to go.

Smart.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Serious too eh!!!!    The only thing that slowed him down was the gas station LOL

NICE build though.
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on May 01, 2020, 03:59 PM
Looks like they are using a Dana 44 front and rear. Open C's and unit bearings. Four link with short arms a-la Jeep.

Depending on how similar it actually is to the Jeep set up there could be the worlds largest aftermarket suspension and axle upgrade options ready to go right off the bat! Including exotica like coil overs, Dana 60 one ton and portal axles!!!!!! All bolt in ready to go.

Smart.

I really hope that's the way they go. That would make a ton of sense and really smart on their part. There's no bigger aftermarket than Jeep, and for us, extremely easy to get at.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on May 01, 2020, 03:59 PM

Smart.

The axles are made by Carraro.

binch

It appears LR is feeling the pressure from the loss of the real defender now and is starting to strike out more.

In the land of James Harriet's village of Thirsk in north Yorkshire is the home for Twisted Automotive.  A defender modification speciality company that was taken to court in the UK:  https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/jaguar-land-rover-loses-court-battle-twisted-automotive

And Ineos...developers of the Grenadier 4x4 (still in the making) went to court with LR over the basic shape of their new vehicle.
https://www.cityam.com/jim-ratcliffe-wins-jaguar-land-rover-challenge-over-defender-shape/

Okay....Maybe this manufacturer went a wee bit far in copying the Evoque....
https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/jaguar-land-rover-wins-case-china-against-evoque-copycat

Whatever your feelings about it.....The battle for the small hold LR has on the market is going to get a lot tougher to hold on to.     

Cheers, Bill

Red90

Some Q&A on FB with lead chassis engineer.

Diff locks front and rear as factory options.
Best in class articulation.
BMW 6 cylinder inlines gas and diesel.
Goal is to make simple as possible and the ability to repair in the field with limited tools.
Normal serviceable hubs.
3500 kg GVW.
3500 kg towing capacity
925 kg rear / 300 kg front capacity over curb weight.

They seem to have a serious goal to make things with long term durability and unbreakable and are testing and designing for that goal. They are also pushing to keep pricing as low as possible.

binch

This is like waiting for Christmas to a 5 year old!!!!! ???
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

BMW? Otherwise known as Bring More Wrenches?

If simple and robust is the goal then I have questions about the choice of BMW to supply the engine?

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on June 02, 2020, 12:34 PM
BMW? Otherwise known as Bring More Wrenches?

If simple and robust is the goal then I have questions about the choice of BMW to supply the engine?

They don't exactly have an infinite choice of suppliers. Where do you suggest the engine comes from?

Red90

Matt H

It's not that BMW doesn't build a nice product but they do have a tendency to be needlessly complex.

It's hard to argue with Japan's track record when it comes to long term Powertrain durability in a 4wd.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on June 02, 2020, 02:33 PM
It's hard to argue with Japan's track record when it comes to long term Powertrain durability in a 4wd.

You are not really comparing modern to modern as needed to pass emissions regulations.  Every engine today is as complex as the next.  Have you seen the insanity of the new Defenders?

The engines in the current Land Cruisers have quite bad reputations.  As far as durability, I have not seen it.  The amount of breakdowns and failures I've seen wheeling with them is no less than anything else. When I lived in Australia, every trip involved towing and fixing broken Toyotas. I have a few friends here that gave up wheeling in them with the constant failures. They are no worse than a Land Rover, but LR owners expect it.  Toy owners have been brainwashed.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Quote from: Red90 on June 02, 2020, 03:06 PM
Quote from: Matt H on June 02, 2020, 02:33 PM

You are not really comparing modern to modern as needed to pass emissions regulations.  Every engine today is as complex as the next.  Have you seen the insanity of the new Defenders?

The engines in the current Land Cruisers have quite bad reputations.  As far as durability, I have not seen it.  The amount of breakdowns and failures I've seen wheeling with them is no less than anything else. When I lived in Australia, every trip involved towing and fixing broken Toyotas. I have a few friends here that gave up wheeling in them with the constant failures. They are no worse than a Land Rover, but LR owners expect it.  Toy owners have been brainwashed.

Good point John.  Looks like the best new 4wd is an old 4wd lol.