Projekt Grenadier

Started by binch, September 27, 2017, 10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambler

Looks smart.  I wonder if they will do a short wheel base
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

binch

Quote from: headdamage on July 01, 2020, 09:06 AM
That is what Land Rover should have made.

YOU'VE GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!!  LR dropped the ball massively on this and now this vehicle really has my attention.  So far I really like what I see.   

check out the question they present to the readers near the end of the article......grendadier vs new defender.    You tell me someone didn't miss the plot here ahhahahhahah

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33013259/ineos-grenadier-suv-revealed/
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Any word on pricing yet?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on July 02, 2020, 07:20 AM
Any word on pricing yet?

They say that they will be competitive. I suspect a bit lower than the new Defender but not much. Probably inline with a 4 door Rubicon. But we will need to wait to see.

Red90

One thing I'm not sure if mentioned.  Magna Steyr is doing the bulk of the engineering. They build the G-wagen along with many other vehicles and designed the Pinzgauer and Haflinger.

DBrands

Quote from: Red90 on July 02, 2020, 09:11 AM
One thing I'm not sure if mentioned.  Magna Steyr is doing the bulk of the engineering. They build the G-wagen along with many other vehicles and designed the Pinzgauer and Haflinger.
It was a very promising announcement in my opinion!
So, do we now consider the Grenadier partially Canadian??  ::) lol
David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

Matt H

I saw a couple of Halflingers while stationed in Germany out on exercise. They were interesting units for sure.

Red90

binch

He makes a few good points there doesn't he....   The one concern I've had for a while has been parts supply.   Where are we going to get our spares from.   I'm sure they will be available but maybe it's time to poke BP and BM to investigate this.   I have it on good authority that the response to the new offender isn't quite what they had expected.  Now granted...the economy is in the toilets but there are dealers in the UK offering 5000 quid discounts to sell them off their property but no one is interested in a 'reskinned Discovery'.     I would really like to have heard the LR boardroom when the grenadier was announced  ::)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Rumours are it will be sold and serviced through BMW dealers.

Trevor

I think the mechanics assessment of the Grenadier and current LR's is pretty UK-centric. Which is fair, that's obviously his scope of reference. But UK don't mean shit in the global auto market.

LR hasn't been about "Defender" for a long time. It's been the lowest seller with the smallest margins for a good many years. They moved on to the upscale SUV/Crossover market long before the last Defender came off the line. And they set new sales records with some of these new vehicles as well (Evoke as an example). Now, I'm not saying I agree with that move. Jeep showed what utility 4x4 market could be, LR passed on the opportunity and this is the market LR has chosen to focus on. The Defender was a UK-centric brand (sales outside the UK were small, and sales in the UK were anemic for years) and they moved away from it to a more global market focus. *shrug* Old news, that ship sailed, etc etc.

Insofar as the Grenadier goes, too early to tell what that will amount to imo. If they follow Jeep's model and offer something that is both affordable and practical, and can gain traction in a few meaningful global markets (US as an example), they might have a chance. If they don't, they're likely to fade pretty fast. Time will tell. Good to see that they plan to align with BMW for distribution. Having a major manufacturer behind them will help getting out of the gate.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

headdamage

I hope it has more generous seating room than the Jeep or real Defender, the Jeep is worse than my 90 which really surprised me.

Red90

Land Rover (the real Land Rovers) sales peaked in 1975 at 55000 units.  They lost the market after that point as the competition started to supply the features that utility vehicle users were asking for. Finally in the 80s they revamped the model, but they still made "what they wanted" and not what "the buyer's wanted" just like Mike says above. The 90/110/127 never regained any sales and they continued to ignore the desires of the market. Finally twenty years too late, they make a new vehicle and it contains nothing that the original Land Rover buyer wants in a utility vehicle. It has zero connection to the past. It is the vehicle that the Discovery buyers wanted but did not get in the Disco 5.

Now if they would just tell the nice German engineers to piss off and do what they are told and build a bare bones, manual transmission, minimal electronics model, then they would have met the goal. You can't leave German engineers to their own devices.  They love to make things complicated just for the fun of it and since they think the rest of the world is full of idiots, you need to be forceful in showing them that they are no smarter than anyone else.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on July 06, 2020, 04:35 PM

Now if they would just tell the nice German engineers to piss off and do what they are told and build a bare bones, manual transmission, minimal electronics model, then they would have met the goal. You can't leave German engineers to their own devices.  They love to make things complicated just for the fun of it and since they think the rest of the world is full of idiots, you need to be forceful in showing them that they are no smarter than anyone else.

Hehe, that summarizes it very well.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

I liked the fleet operators idea about using as many common sized fasteners as possible and easy to access service locations. That would be a real boon in the field.

Nobody does in 'unnecessarily complicated' like the Germans. Lol.