Projekt Grenadier

Started by binch, September 27, 2017, 10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

They need to be low for good geometry. A trailing link that angles down to the axle forces a high anti squat and roll steer.  Having them level is best but not practical. Longer would be better, but packaging for the upper links constrains what is practical.  They should integrate a ramp from the chassis though as it will catch.

I see they have recovery points welded to the chassis front and rear.
You cannot view this attachment.

DBrands

Quote from: Red90 on February 19, 2021, 09:44 AM
They need to be low for good geometry. A trailing link that angles down to the axle forces a high anti squat and roll steer.  Having them level is best but not practical. Longer would be better, but packaging for the upper links constrains what is practical.  They should integrate a ramp from the chassis though as it will catch.

I see they have recovery points welded to the chassis front and rear.

Yeah, I figured a mix of geometry and space constraints. I was hoping for better ramping... though I'm sure the aftermarket will be there quickly with a bolt-on if it becomes a problem with breakover on logs/rocks/etc.

David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

Red90

Here are some shots from earlier videos showing link geometry.  The uppers links and their intrusion into the passenger compartment is where the problems arise.  On a positive side, what they are showing is a better than what is on a traditional Land Rover and what is on a Wrangler as far as geometry goes.  It should be really stable and allow for quite long travel.

Matt H

Why have I only just noticed that the front and rear diffs are offset to the left?
Interesting.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Probably due to the BMW engine exhausting on the right.

binch

It's great to see progress isn't it!?!
Cheers, Bill

Red90

binch

I'm still waiting to see what the interior is going to be like....very curious. 8)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Any details on what diffs/axles they are going with? I haven't been able to find info on that.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

The axles are from Carraro.

binch

is that good or bad...? ???
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Carraro should be fine. They normally make axles and drivetrain components for heavy machinery.

It is all on the details though on how they spec out the parts.

binch

sounds like it's on the right track so far. :)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I'm curious if they are following and existing template (Dana or Toy as examples), or designing something new. Finding aftermarket support will be much better if they don't try to reinvent the wheel.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Carraro will be using one of their existing centers most likely. Wheel pattern appears to be what is used on Land Cruisers. There will be no existing aftermarket support.