fuel tank needed for an FC101

Started by Lightningpower, September 15, 2017, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightningpower

Maybe not too common a part for someone to have lying around, but....

Red90

My understanding is they all rust out so most have been putting in the reproduction stainless ones.

http://www.101parts.co.uk/product-category/engine/fuel-system/fuel-tanks/

binch

ah....that's where the 101 went  ;D
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

Looks like it.  Good luck and  Have fun with the restoration  :)
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

ugly_90

I expect this is a pre-purchase question, and you haven't started it up yet due to the leaky tank.

I don't know much about this model, but it does look big enough to hide a used red steel marine fuel tank somewhere, or a cheap plastic jerry. I'm assuming this is for testing only, which leads to several other questions that I don't even want to explore if it has been sitting for any time.

I would assume the proper fuel tank could be a delayed expense due to the likely wider scope of restoration work on it.

Lightningpower

So the question was a giveaway. I did buy the 1982 FC101 Ambulance on Kijiji this morning. The fuel tank was sent to a shop for repair a decade ago and was lost. So, I need a new one.

As an aside: the Ambulance was converted by some guy in Wales into his accommodation, so its hard to say its still an ambulance. It has a nice gas cooker though...

Matt H

You need to talk to Yoda (the one in the club not the little green guy in Star Wars). He also runs a 101 down here in Medicine Hat. He is a real anorak when it comes to the Army FC's and knows just about everything about them including parts sources. He's got manuals, parts books and a (quite scary) encyclopedic knowledge on these units.
Plan to join the 101 club as well as many rare parts are only available through them these days.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Yup, Yoda is the man in the know!!!!    that and the 101FC club in the UK.    All will come to those who ask ;D
Cheers, Bill

Chad M

That's funny, one of my friends was first in the queue and the other was second!

Congrats Christian, that's a really interesting rig.

Chad.

Darkdevo

Quote from: Lightningpower on September 15, 2017, 08:19 PM
Maybe not too common a part for someone to have lying around, but....
You bought that 101 how is it?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lightningpower

The 101 is quite complete, apart from the missing fuel tank and some odds and ends. The camper conversion didn't do it any favours, but it wasn't a total chop job. All in, the vehicle is quite good for a project. Included paperwork contained a failed MOT from 2005.

The owner was a very decent chap to deal with.

I'm surprised by heavy the thing is. I trailered it around today and achieved a whopping 6.1 miles per US gallon on my 5.0L F150.

Trevor

Quote from: Lightningpower on September 16, 2017, 07:57 PM

I'm surprised by heavy the thing is. I trailered it around today and achieved a whopping 6.1 miles per US gallon on my 5.0L F150.

Like all Land Rovers from that era it has the added advantage of having the aerodynamics of a barn door. That helps a lot when trailering :).
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

I towed Yoda's 101 GS back from Cypress Hills one year back when I had a cummins Dodge 3/4 ton and a flat deck trailer. Despite the fact he insisted it weighs well under 4,000lbs it was like towing a parachute. Felt really heavy behind the truck. Probably because it's so tall.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Lightningpower

I've towed many vehicles and I've never trailered anything that felt as ungainly and heavy as the 101. Honestly, with that kind of weight, I wonder how the 3.5L V8 is supposed to motivate it.

Lightningpower

I'be PM'd Yoda. So I hope I hear from him soon.