1942 Ford CMP - Project

Started by jybella, November 27, 2016, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jybella

I thought I would post my long running project here, winter is long and perhaps others would find it interesting not LR, but certainly military.

I have been working on the project for a couple of winters now, I bought a parts truck a couple of years ago and finally brought it in and decide to see if I could get it started.

Here was the result today.

The truck was sitting for 30 plus years. It was modified to be a tow truck.

https://youtu.be/lD6AKC6ghD0

ugly_90

Cool. The CMP is about as simple as they come. Hope you do a nice resto on it.

binch

GREAT JOB JIM!!!!!!   Nothing like hearing a bit of history roaring to life ;)

Please keep the updates coming!!!!!!!
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Looks like a great project. Keep the posts coming, it'll be nice to see this one come together!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

ugly_90

If I recall, this one has no synchro on any gears? Double clutching all of them? There was a fellow on this forum from Wainwright who was chasing a CMP project also.

binch

I don't remember what exactly it was but here was an old WW11 army truck outside the Museum in Norman Wells.  May have been there since the canol road days :D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Very cool project. I think all of us on here would be interested in following this restoration.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

jybella

This was the first truck i bought, I went all the way to Port Coquitlam for it. It was somewhat complete the previous owner had done a lot of work to it. The motor looked to be in good shape with a rebuild tag from 1942. It had new tires and the cab looked fair. That's Mount Robson in the background on the second pic.

binch

what kind of axles are they using....1 ton or greater? ???
Cheers, Bill

jybella

The axels are huge. Probably equivalent to a 5 ton truck now, it was rated as a 1500wt which would be 3/4 ton.

Last winter i took the cab off off the tow truck one, and brought it in, it was amazliy original. Lots of little pieces in the proper spots. I disassembled the first cab and blasted and painted it and the started the reassembly of the cab using the best parts from both.

jybella

Already a Rover

There are just so many things I could say about these in relation to Land Rovers, but I will leave that alone.  Kudos, and how-about that: it started after 30 years! 

You must have a lot in common with a friend of mine who just bought a 1952 GMC grain truck to convert into a truck and homemade camper - like your's it is a "1500" but could probably support a train-car.

Anyone struck by the resemblance in that last picture to Darth Vader's helmut??   ;D

Regardless, when this thing is rolling, I wouldn't want to meet it on a dark road!

jybella

These trucks had a lot of different configurations for the war, from tow trucks, cargo, water trucks, to machinery trucks and everything in between. This one was a MACH designation which would mean it would have a welder on the deck. The welders were interesting they were a Lincoln welder powered by a Ford Flathead V8. I managed to find a replacement that was a used to defrost frozen underground pipes, it is a big DC generator powered by a Ford V8 flathead not quite the same but will make a good copy.

binch

Great follow up pics Jim!!!!
Cheers, Bill

jybella

Here's a couple more. Small scale not mine but an amazing model.