"Backyard" tent and trailer expo

Started by 5spd, August 22, 2016, 09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

5spd

I'd like to mount a 'backyard' tent and trailer expo, oriented towards smaller off road trailers, roof top tents, ground tents, and general overland camping gadgetry.  I think there is enough interest around Edmonton between ALRE, the Oil Country Landcruiser folks, and others.  Within ALRE there are three or four people building or using these type of things.

I am throwing out 24 Sept as a suggested date, but the crux of the problem is the location.  My yard just won't cut it.  Anyone got access to a big yard we could fit a half dozen veh / trailer / tents into for an afternoon?  Edmonton area.

Post up, or give me a shout to discuss.  780 569 1812.

Chris

binch

This is a GREAT idea Chris!!!    My suggestion is to use the Islet Lake picnic area on the south edge of the Blackfoot Grazing Reserve. ;D
Cheers, Bill

Alex C

I would attend with the Ozztent RV3
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

5spd

A member offered up a big parking lot and grassy strip in West Edmonton as an alternative to Islet Lake.  Islet lake would be way more scenic.  I will chat it up with the folks I want to rely on for this, and then call the ball.

Alex, I was hoping you'd be up for it.

Chris

pechanec

B-Red

I will be coming out to this one. ARB AWNINGS demo.

ugly_90

I plan on attending, work permitting. I'll counter Alex's Oz tent with my new "Atuk Kamuk 2 " canvas tipi made in Quebec. The Kelly Kettle may make a demo too..

Alex C

I accept that counter, i will also counter your Kelly Kettle, i will Demo the Big Rock IPA and bottle opener, delivers up and excellent beverage with no heat source, good for winter or summer  ;)

Matt H

Quote from: Alex C on August 29, 2016, 08:06 PM
I accept that counter, i will also counter your Kelly Kettle, i will Demo the Big Rock IPA and bottle opener, delivers up and excellent beverage with no heat source, good for winter or summer  ;)

You win.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

Perhaps I should join in and display my circa 1992 pink and turquoise 'Spalding' Canadian Tire ground tent with built-in ground sheet?

camo388

PINK and TURQUOISE !!  :o  :o
Does it come with a warning to wear  8)  if you are within 50 meters?

Alex C

come on now the ground rules are set, its a tent, trailer and beverage demo, you cannot set up just a tent, we have the kettle and beer covered, tea, coco, mead etc are all still open, i will also be setting up a tent that i purchased new in about 1981 it is a classic Robert Saunders tent, similar to the Series 2 a British icon that is no longer in production.

A selection of tents is important, small simple, light short stay, and a larger heavier, longer stay set up.

5spd

We have a location.  After bouncing a few options, I selected an urban offering: the parking lot and grassy verge just behind (west) of Douglas Sollows Architect, at  10220 156 St NW #120, Edmonton.  Kerwin Manages one of the local buildings, and has access to the lot.  The parking lot is empty on weekends, and the grass will allow parking and display of trailers, tents, and soak up the odd spill of the above mentioned libations.

Time to display is 1000-1400.   Since many people want to actually see how things are set up, don't be in a rush to have your setup done at or by 1000.  In fact, you might want to sort the libation first, and then demo your setup with appreciative onlookers.

For those not inclined to cook on the spot, Kerwin informs me the local Turkish restaurant is fantastic, and a quick google search will show you the other local offerings.

The one drawback we have right now is the lack of a guaranteed toilet.  Although Kerwin may arrange for us to have access to a toilet in a building, i suggest you don't plan on it.  Kerwin himself will be away in Moab that week.

Bring your own water.  don't chop the trees for firewood.  plan on carting your own garbage out as the dumpsters may be locked.  And the wet weather plan is to not melt, but to make more coffee and put up another awning. 

I have put the word out to the Land Cruiser guys, but although the forum post has got views, no one has replied.  If any of you can pass the word on your respective other networks, please do.

As it stands now, we've got my trailer, Kellie and Jason with their Bush Lapa http://superterram.ca/, Jim with his D90 and recently road-tripped modified Sankey and roof top tent, Alex with Oztent and, well, brews.  Emad showing off the ARB awning.  Also, we are hoping to get a visit from a local upholsterer who can do custom awning work.  There is a chance one local trailer distributor might be interested in coming up too, so more to follow on that.

As I get word from other interested parties, I'll post up.

Chris

Matt H

Sounds like fun but I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to make it.

Apparently, my old tent is not trendy enough anyway lol :'(

bumpydormobile

Hey Chris
Just watched a youtube video you might be interested in  "Land Rover Defender- the ultimate camper conversion"
Pretty nice digs!
I might join you guys that afternoon, sounds interesting.

David