Socket head cap screw

Started by camo388, May 10, 2016, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

When taking my capstan winch apart to see why water is getting into the gear oil, I managed to break one of the socket head cap screws.
It is a 3/8" bolt X 1 3/4" long and 20 threads per inch.  When I asked at a truck parts supplier, the first comment was it must be something from a Land Rover to have that thread pitch.  Technically it is an Aeroparts capstan winch but it is made in England for a Land Rover so he was nearly right.   ;D
So I'm asking if someone has such a bolt, or longer that I could cut down, or do they know of a bolt supplier in England I could contact.
I only broke the1, but it uses 6 in total, so could take 2 or 3 if possible and have spares.

Thanks in advance,   Bruce

Red90

3/8-20 is BSF which is basically a long dead thread standard.   You might be able to bring one I from the UK. I've never heard of anyone in Canada that carries them.

Matt H

Sorry, I don't have any that size.
Reminds me the time I visited the bolt supply warehouse in MH looking for Series 1 bolts and asked if they had different thread types. "Of course" they answered. "We have both, standard AND metric".

I ended up getting them from the UK. Be careful buying there however. Given high percentage of classic British cars needing obsolete hard wear there are many cheap Chinese knock off nuts and bolts on offer that don't  fit correctly, are not dimensionally correct or of correct strength.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

camo388

3/8- 20 is BSF,  Good to know what I am searching for and let the search begin!
Anyone going to the UK that is willing to visit a Nut and Bolt supplier and bring back a few bolts in their luggage??
The worst case scenario might be to drill out and use heli-coil insert.  3 bolts hold the 2 piece bollard together and 3 bolts hold the cap to the bollard,  So I'd say not a lot of strain on the bolts and so if need be, heli-coil should work.  The one I broke was in the cap and bolt was rusted in place.  Next 2 bolts came out after heating and use of penetrating oil.  I'd guess assembled with dry threads, no anti- seize.

Lightningpower

Maybe a long shot, but you could try John at Motoparts Inc. He sells fasteners for Brit bikes, and BSF is not unfamiliar to him. He may have something lying around.

(780) 988-8198

Red90

A little Googling.  Here is a place in the States.  Quite a few other pop up in the UK.

http://www.britishmetrics.com/store/p/775-BS2470-12-9-Socket-Head-Screw-3/8-BSF.aspx

camo388

Quote from: Red90 on May 11, 2016, 06:38 AM
http://www.britishmetrics.com/store/p/775-BS2470-12-9-Socket-Head-Screw-3/8-BSF.aspx

Thanks for the link John.  I had a look and need minimum $20 to start an order.  See they have a BSF tap so add a few more bolts to that and hey presto over $20.
Go to check out, put in address and get shipping quote.  $38.50 and UP depending on service. :o
WOW that is $10 per bolt/tap and that is before conversion to Canadian $. :o
I'll have to come out of retirement to buy from them. :(
I'll try Google and see what is available from the UK.

Red90

Quote from: camo388 on May 12, 2016, 01:48 PMGo to check out, put in address and get shipping quote.  $38.50 and UP depending on service. :o

Argh!!  Nothing more frustration than US suppliers that overcharge for shipping.

SpeedyJ

For low priority items I get packages delivered to the Montana Shipping Center -  http://www.montanashipping.com, then pick them up when I go to Moab in the spring.

As a club, I'd suggest putting out the word when you're picking up stuff or need stuff picked up. A member with time can get his gas paid for and a guy with money can get his stuff cheaper by taking advantage of free domestic shipping. If enough orders are picked up at once the cost is negligible and the driver can make money.

Last time I went down I picked up a new mountain bike for myself (saving $300 in shipping) and brought back about $10 000 worth of stuff for Land Cruiser club guys. I paid the GST and was on my way. It was win/win for everyone.

It's great for those little eBay items that cost $15 an have free domestic shipping, but won't ship to Canada, or when shipping would cost more then the item is worth.

camo388

Quote from: Lightningpower on May 11, 2016, 12:08 AM
Maybe a long shot, but you could try John at Motoparts Inc. He sells fasteners for Brit bikes, and BSF is not unfamiliar to him. He may have something lying around.

(780) 988-8198
I tried your long shot and phoned John.  John warned that this is bigger that what you would find on a British bike but did a search and found one, 1 1/2", in a miscellaneous parts bin.  This will work to hold the bollard cap on and can gain some length if I use locktite instead of a lock washer.

Thanks for the tip,  Bruce

A further development as discovered Ian, ALRE member, is visiting in UK and sent a couple web links to bolt suppliers.  I'll look them over and order a few spare bolts.
Thanks Ian.

camo388

For those that may be looking for BSF or other bolts and nuts here is the link that Ian had sent.
http://namrick.co.uk/   Namrick also have taps and dies for the British thread types.

ugly_90

There seems to be lots of new 3/8 BSF parts on ebay.co.uk, parts should ship cheaply, if you keep under 1KG to go royal airmail.

taps and dies there too, but a full set would put you over that weight limit.

camo388

I ordered 6 spare bolts and 2 of 3/8" BSF taps that come as a set, and the cost is 22.99 Pounds which converts to Cdn $ 42.69   though this may differ to Visa's rate.