Hello from Southern Alberta

Started by Rosco, March 23, 2015, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosco

Hello all,
A quick introduction, found the group recently through a 96 Discovery that I bought, on the front bumper under some rocker paint was an ALRE badge, so thought I would investigate, so found the website and signed up.
To add to this I also purchased a 94 Defender 90, ex military, picked this up a few days after the Disco, not new to Land Rovers, previously had a '97 110, which was also ex military.

Have put the 90 under a heavy makeover in the last couple of weeks, want to get it inspected and on the road as soon as I can, the disco is mostly a parts vehicle, will be parting it out soon, needed a couple of things for the Defender.

Am a member of another offroad club, we get out onto trails every couple of months, mostly Waiporous or Croswnest.

Are there many members in the Lethbridge/south of Calgary area?

Trevor

Welcome Rosco!

That's quite humorous how you came upon our club.

There is an ALRE contingent that roams southern Alberta. I'm not sure how many folks are down south, but I'm sure someone will jump in with that info.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Welcome.  For some strange reason there are not any club members down that way.  We have done a few long weekend / week sized trip down in the Crowsnest.  It is always nice to get down in your area.

http://s203.photobucket.com/user/alberta_land_rover_enthusiast/library/Race%20Horse%20Pass%2007?sort=3&page=1
http://s203.photobucket.com/user/alberta_land_rover_enthusiast/library/Race%20Horse%20Pass%2008?sort=3&page=1
http://s203.photobucket.com/user/alberta_land_rover_enthusiast/library/Race%20Horse%20Pass%2009?sort=3&page=1
http://www.red90.ca/photos/land-rover-trips/Crowsnest%20August%202011/

I had been thinking about putting together a trip this summer for people that can't make the longer BC expedition.

B-Red

Welcome aboard Resco. Crowsnest is very nice area. It would be great to explore it as well this summer.
Post some pictures for you D90. Always good to have another Defender in the club.

Cheers

binch

Greetings Rosco,

The closest folks to you would be the lads in Med Hat or Calgary area.    I'm sure Matt will be by soon to say hello!    I noticed that Matt has a note up on Kijiji too, about the club.

Welcome aboard!
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Welcome Rosco, If your in the lethbridge area then we in Med Hat are probably the closest. We are having a meeting on the 27th if your interested? Also heading out to Cypress Hills for the May Long if you fancy meeting a few of us.

A trip out to the Beaver mines/crows nest pass sounds like a great idea. If I can make it, I'm in.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

Quote from: binch on March 23, 2015, 05:53 PMI noticed that Matt has a note up on Kijiji too, about the club.

I'm trying to catch the attention of LR owners/would be owners in the Med Hat area. Lately I've been noticing quite a large increase in LR's on the road down here. It's been just the three of us active for so long in our area that you could be forgiven for assuming it's a closed club.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Rosco

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I haven't seen any other Defenders down this way, only once in Calgary and I think I saw it in some photos on the gallery here, a good amount of Discoverys and a couple of Range Rovers too, a guy with a Classic works near me so I see that often.

The Crowsnest area is nice, I see in those trips you made it to the plane crash, I was up there a few times last year in my other truck, we tried to go a few weeks ago but even though there was no snow at Blairmore, by the time we got to the base of the trail it was about 2ft deep so we turned around and went to the ghost town instead.

Where are you thinking of putting on a trip? There are some trails I would love to explore in the Beaver mines/Crowsnest/Flathead Valley area.

This is as I bought it:

Doesnt look like that anymore though, ill get a better picture this evening.

Med Hat could be a go, I will have to see what the plans are. Are there many trails out in Cypress Hills? we camped out there a couple of times last year.

Red90

Looks like you have a fun project.  My estimate is there are 150 Defenders in Calgary alone.

If you need parts (okay when), you may want to consider joining the club.  We have some attractive arrangements for parts supply.

As to a trip down your way, anything is good.  The club is very unstructured and anyone can make up a trip at any time.  We've been on most of the main trails.  The last trip we did (Trevor and I) was to attempt to reach all of the legally driveable passes in Alberta that we had not done in the past.  We have gotten them all except Mcdonald Pass.  We were blocked by a large rock that will require a bit of digging for a truck to squeeze by.  On the plane site, we actually needed to winch through snow in August one year to get to it.

Red90

Have you been up Seven Bridges Trail?  That is one I still wanted to do.  Apparently there is a tunnel up near the end that goes through the mountain.

Rosco

I cant wait to get it on the road, I would be able to put it through its test if I had the side indicator lights, but they haven't arrived yet so I cant book it in.

Thats way more Defenders than I expected, I dont spend enough time in Calgary to ever see any, always hoped to see one on the trails, but it hasnt happened yet.

Can I ask about the parts supply? I have some connections in the UK, so anything I need has been shipped over, but bigger parts are more expensive to ship.

Does the membership run from a particular month, or 12 months from sign up?

Not been up Seven Bridges Trail yet, its on my list though as it looks a nice trail, not heard about the tunnel, would be a good trip up there.

binch

To keep it simple for admin we do our membership renewals the beginning of each year.   At $20 per year it's a great price.
Cheers, Bill

Rosco

Final inspection was this morning, passed and is now registered for the road!

First inspection last week, they really didn't know anything about the defender, failed it saying brakes were worn below spec, no daytime running lights and parking brake light wouldn't illuminate.

Turns out brakes were fine, they just had the wrong specs, replaced parking brake shoes as worn, wired in low beam for DRL's and printed out the parts sheets to show it didn't come with a parking brake lamp from the factory.

So happy it's all done, pictures to follow shortly

B-Red

Congrats Rosco. Now you get to enjoy the spring and summer driving around.