pto driven Sankey

Started by binch, March 31, 2016, 09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Does anyone know anything about the sankey trailers that were driven from a pto on the land rover vehicle pulling them?     Looking for info on them if anyone has any.....can't seem to find anything on google but maybe I'm asking the wrong questions. :o
Cheers, Bill

Red90

There were driven gun trailers. They worked with 101s.

camo388

The idea of a driven trailer to assist travelling overland didn't work out as well as expected.  I read somewhere during a military trials show, the driven trailer pushed over the towing LR when the LR turned too sharp.  Not the thing to see when you are trying to sell the product. :o
John has found the write up and it explains the situation.

binch

was there anything for the smaller narrow wheel based sankeys?

Getting pushed over would not be pleasant would it!??!?
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

For a long time I've thought that a electric assist on the trailer might be handy. Some thing that only provides power when you tell it to for those odd times when the trailer is acting like an anchor.

binch

that's an interesting idea......what would it take Emad?
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

Put a rover rear axle under the trailer with a electric motor hooked up to the diff some how perhaps?

camo388

I Googled PTO driven Land Rover trailer and it came up with lots of information.  Pictures of hitch used and how it is connected to trailer and among other things, a post on AULRO, (Australian LR Owners) about the trailer and one fellows idea of having hydraulic driven trailer.  A pto or fan belt driven hydraulic pump to power a rover axle under the trailer.  Joy stick control in the counsel and with camera coverage, you could drive the trailer like a video game.  ;D
For you Series guys I have a PTO unit. ;)

binch

Quote from: camo388 on April 01, 2016, 12:47 PM
I Googled PTO driven Land Rover trailer and it came up with lots of information.  Pictures of hitch used and how it is connected to trailer and among other things, a post on AULRO, (Australian LR Owners) about the trailer and one fellows idea of having hydraulic driven trailer.  A pto or fan belt driven hydraulic pump to power a rover axle under the trailer.  Joy stick control in the counsel and with camera coverage, you could drive the trailer like a video game.  ;D
For you Series guys I have a PTO unit. ;)

How about a link to that thread Bruce...... ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Here's how the army solves such problems.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Quote from: binch on April 01, 2016, 11:01 AMthat's an interesting idea......what would it take Emad?

My suggested low budget approach....

Install a used, suitable rear axle from donor Land Rover.  Get a used DC motor and speed control electrics from a forklift or gold cart.  Mount motor to diff pinion.  Mount lead acid batteries to trailer.  Rig up speed control to vary with vehicle throttle and a switch to turn on for the short periods needed.  Could add a disconnect switch on the surge brake to turn the power off if the trailer starts to push on the truck.  AFAIK, the DC motor can just freewheel the rest of the time without adding much drag.  You could probably add a manual disconnect on the motor or freewheeling hubs for when towing on the road.

headdamage

binch

Cheers, Bill

Red90

Maybe when I get that acreage and a nice shop.   :'(