pto driven Sankey

Started by binch, March 31, 2016, 09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

I've got some junk to help decorate the acreage when you get it.

Matt H

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

I actually saw the 101 powered trailer and 101 prototype in the flesh during a visit to the Heritage Motor Museum in Gaydon, UK. It actually looked a fairly simple affair with a pass through hitch/driveshaft system sometimes used on older Heavy off road/Ag equipment. Good low speed but it obviously had issues with Squaddies and higher speeds.

I didn't spend too long looking at it however as I was much more interested in one of the original Darien Gap Range Rovers was parked next to it.

Fantastic place. If you ever get the chance I highly recommend a visit.

binch

Is that the place that's open one weekend every second year????    That's on my list for next year I think ;-)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Quote from: binch on April 01, 2016, 01:13 PM
Quote from: camo388 on April 01, 2016, 12:47 PM
I Googled PTO driven Land Rover trailer and it came up with lots of information.  Pictures of hitch used and how it is connected to trailer and among other things, a post on AULRO, (Australian LR Owners) about the trailer and one fellows idea of having hydraulic driven trailer.  A pto or fan belt driven hydraulic pump to power a rover axle under the trailer.  Joy stick control in the counsel and with camera coverage, you could drive the trailer like a video game.  ;D
For you Series guys I have a PTO unit. ;)

How about a link to that thread Bruce...... ;)

A link??  Just Google " PTO driven Land Rover trailer"  It's only 5 words Bill, then you can look at all that is on the page, (or the 10 following pages), to your hearts content.  I could possibly put up a link to AULRO post but you would probable have to sign in to see it.

Matt H

Quote from: binch on April 01, 2016, 09:52 PM
Is that the place that's open one weekend every second year????    That's on my list for next year I think ;-)

Nope. That was the Dunsfold collection open weekend and it was last held in 2015.

This is the British National Motor Museum in Gaydon. It's open most days and has very early motor carriages to land speed record cars. I've been lucky enough to go twice and I've still not seen everything.

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/

binch

I'll just have to add it to my list then won't I  ;D
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Another option and probably less complicated than electric or hydraulic motors.

Here in Maine we call such trailers, Power Trailers.

We used to use them a lot here for getting pulpwood out of the woods. This was when papermills used to take pulp four feet long. We would cut the wood to that length in the woods, throw the wood on a trailer and then take the wood to a road where a truck would take it to the mill. It was a very efficient way to move wood because with all the wood on wheels, a small farm tractor could pull 1/2 to 3/4 of a cord of wood (full cord of 4x4x8). With a power trailer even more wood could be hauled; full cords or more!

That was because a power trailer was a home made trailer that had a trucks rear end welded to a frame. Then a transmission was placed at the tongue of the trailer. The tractors PTO would then hook up to the transmission and driveline. As you encountered mud, you would engage the PTO on the tractor. Power would then go through the transmission and turn the trailers wheels at the same speed as the tractor by finding the right gear to put the transmission in.

In a way the power trailer is superior to four wheel drive because with a power trailer, all the weight of the load is placed on the axle which is being driven, unlike a 4x4 tractor that is just having its front axle turned, but no weight applied. With a load on, some of the trailers weight would actually lift the front end of the tractor reducing 4x4 effectiveness. The downside is though, there is only one speed where the power trailer's transmission matches up with the tractors speed. In other words, the power trailer provides superior traction...at one speed only.

I have seen some power dump trailers as well as power woods trailers and I know they would be handy to have, but I do not know of any manufacturer that makes power trailers. Everyone I have seen was home-made. And while not a difficult task to do, with the popularity of 4x4 tractors these days, and papermills that no longer take four foot pulp wood, I have seen less and less power trailers around. Once and awhile you can see them advertised for sale for very reasonable costs. I would recommend anyone without a 4x4 tractor to get one though. They work extremely well in mud and snow.

camo388

camo388

And here we go someone has made an electrical trailer drive set up.
http://www.fliegl-agrartechnik.de/drive-axle-powerdriveelect/150/2234/1591/

Let me know how it works on a Sankey. ;D ;D

Red90

A quicky calc looks like a regular old 10 hp golf cart motor would work well and be a simple build.  You can probably just use the whole combination axle/gearbox/motor.  Maybe widen , if needed, or better hybrid it with Rover hubs.  Be  simple to get good adjustable control with the controller from the donor cart.