New Defender........again.

Started by Matt H, March 10, 2015, 05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Just incase you haven't seen it yet, here's  the latest photoshop/rendering of what someone who has no insider information at all claims to be the new Defender.

http://rss.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/deep-dive-all-new-2019-land-rover-defender-an-icon-reinvented/ar-BBibsMJ?srcref=rss

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

2019 Land Rover Defender Illustration Front Three Quarter

Trevor

I gotta say, I do like those hypothetical renderings. If they come up with something along those lines, they will be on the right track imo.

That's a pretty good article as it does highlight a lot of what the Defender, hopefully, will be...and needs to be. It definitely needs a fresh start. Jeep showed them the way, the model is right there, they just need to improve on that.   

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

The new Jeep will have live axles and an aluminum body.

Matt H

I'm not a fan of the "I wanna be a Range Rover" tiny headlamps  or the acres of plastic body kit.

But, as long as Land Rover make it easy to upgrade and modify, owners and the aftermarket will take care of the shortfalls in design and specification.

Rambler

I don't like it, though it looks better from the side/back.  Very J**p like with the padded roll cage in that perspective. 
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

binch

first pic reminded me of the new Toyota FJ with proper size windows.    But talk is cheap....Let me see the new defender
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Asking my friend about the new Minis in the Dakar race:" It's like they shoved an air pump up the tail pipe and pumped it full of steroids "

My prospective;-)

Trevor

As I ponder the evolution of the Defender, I have landed on one irrefutable truth; the last people they should be listening to for design and product advice on the new Defender, are existing Defender owners. Reason being is because we are clearly all completely insane! Lets investigate this conclusion in more detail...

The Defender brings with it the following list of qualities:

1) External design: Its a box...with wheels. It has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick. Well, that's actually being unfair to the brick.

2) Quality: This is a vehicle that comes with a manufacturers document showing you where water will leak in, and the proper ratio of bubble gum and spittle required to seal said leaks. Typical engineering drawings for its competitors vehicles list tolerances in thousands of an inch; for the Defender they are in inches and feet...and they usually miss those.

3) Ergonomics: This is a word that is verboten in the Defender design and build facilities. Helga, the German dominatrix who heads this department for Land Rover, applies a ruthless dedication to insuring that every minute of time spent operating the vehicle is, at minimum, as desirable as rubbing glass shards in ones eyes. This is also the only division of the Defender production team that consistently meets or exceeds its design goals. Bravo!

4) Cost: It is twice as expensive, and provides half as much. Its that new math.

5) Safety: The motto in the Defender factory is "If you are silly enough to hit something, you deserve to die." This is a carry over from the Series years, and seems to work well.

6) Emissions: If you don't test for pollutants, its emissions are not that bad. Emissions testing, after all, is hard.

7) Market Share: The Yugo is in greater demand. Enough said.

Yet, in light of all these things, there are a few (and I mean A FEW) of us who are very much in love with our Defenders. All manner of logic or common sense be damned, we still seek them out and cherish them. Without question, we are not quite right in the head, or worthy of giving guidance to Land Rover!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Then what I'm I suppose to do with my two cents worth ???

Hi, My names Bill and I'm an addict.... ;D
Cheers, Bill

Red90

They "could" do what Jeep has done.  Modernize so that is is safe and comfortable while maintaining the basic off road design and strength and allow for room to be built up.

Trevor

Quote from: binch on March 11, 2015, 06:33 PM
Then what I'm I suppose to do with my two cents worth ???

Hi, My names Bill and I'm an addict.... ;D

Now you've got it Bill. See, we call our ALRE gatherings "club meetings", but they are really group therapy sessions :)
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

If I can throw my two cents here:
I have been going through withdrawal without my Defender. It's 14 degrees outside. Muck and Mud is everywhere.
I have a picture and a Match Box size Defender by my bed.
I watch YouTube movies for Defenders every Saturday and Sunday morning to get my driving fix...
When is our Group meeting again? I think I am slipping

binch

Tigger must be almost ready now isn't it? ???
Cheers, Bill

KIDD67

Quote from: binch on March 10, 2015, 10:06 PM
first pic reminded me of the new Toyota FJ with proper size windows.    But talk is cheap....Let me see the new defender

My first impression too.. :o