Selling a rover in the US

Started by KIDD67, October 26, 2015, 08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KIDD67

Hello All

I am soliciting help/advice from members that have any information on how I can sell my 1991 land rover in the US. I Know about their 25 year min but am more interested in the hows and where's to listing it successfully. The vehicle is close at 24 years old.

Thanks

Already a Rover

I thought that it has to be 25 y.o. or must meet emissions standards?

Good luck - money to be made it you can.

PM me if you would like to come visit in Calgary - I'm off for a couple of weeks and would like to drive a diesel.

Jim

Red90

Probably the best site at the moment is http://www.defendersource.com/forum/ for selling a Defender.

1) The build date must be more that 25 years from the date of import.  Your 1991 might be old enough.  You need to find the build date.  You can get that from here: http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/store/heritage-certificates-and-archive-services.html  A record from them is suitable for US customs.

2) It must be on the original chassis.  The chassis VIN stamp must be readable and appear unchanged.

3) It must be in the original configuration.  Any items that can be decoded by the VIN must match.
- Same type engine as on VIN.  Does not need to be the original engine, but must be the same engine model.
- Same type of gearbox.
- Same configuration (hard top, soft top....)
- LHD or RHD.

Red90

Quote from: Already a Rover on October 26, 2015, 08:59 AMI thought that it has to be 25 y.o. or must meet emissions standards?

It must be at least 25 years old period.  There are no other exceptions unless it was sold in Canada originally.

KIDD67

The 25 year question is Understood. John has provided me with the technical details via that great link he gave me.
Now what I am requesting is information on where/how to advertise it on the US market.

Bill

B-Red

Is altering the engine from 2.5 NA to 200TDI affects its export?

Matt H

Advertise everywhere. All enthusiast forums, EBay, Craigslist (especially in Cailifornia) everyplace you can think of.

The more exposure the better. I used to sell collector cars down in the States and it's a simple numbers game. More potential buyers=higher price + quicker sale. Most buyers will need help sorting the shipping but with the low CDN dollar right now it's a good time to sell in the U.S. 

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

KIDD67

Already a Rover

Try "Guns and Rovers."

There is someone on there now looking for a turn-key Series2 who is willing to pay up to 25K for it, for example.

Jim