Wild Bill/Blacktail Trail, Montana. 2016.

Started by Matt H, October 02, 2015, 12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Hi Folks, I'm organizing a trip out to the Blacktail/WildBill trail system in the second week of July 2016. This trail is close to the Blacktail Ski area, near Kalispell, Montana.

You can read more about the trail system and how it got nominated as a BFGoodrich outstanding trail here. http://www.skyliners4x4.com/index.php/blacktail-wild-bill-ohv

I've been in contact with the local off road club, Skyliners 4x4, and got info on the trail system that I will add later. There is quite a lot of info to share.

The basic plan would be to take a 5 day week to run the trails and see the local attractions using the weekends to travel.  Flat head lake is an amazing area with lots to do and see (and fish). Lots of State Parks, water sports etc. so if you want to bring family they won't have to be stuck out on bumpy trails all the time.

As far as accommodation is concerned I have holidayed often in this area and stayed at a local Motel that has a hot tub, patio and swimming pool so I would suggest staying there but it's not mandatory. We can meet up for breakfast/trail head etc. if you want to camp. If enough folks want a motel room I can call and try to negotiate a group rate.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

Trail info.

The entire main trail system is roughly 20 miles (32 km) long and set out in a Y formation. Apparently any two legs of the Y can be run by a small group in a day. The main trail is rated easy and can be crossed by most stock 4x4's. Along the trial there are natural and man made optional sections that range from moderate to "lookout your gonna roll". According to my contact in the local 4x4 club, more miles of trail is being opened up this year.

This means the trail is as hard or as easy as you would like it to be. The trail can be run in multiple directions and there are several entrance/exit points making trail days easy to organize.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zkxWT73RHo8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=08DnXl9HA7g

You can see the optional more difficult bypass in these YouTube videos with the main (easy) trail in the background.

The views of the Flat Head Lake valley are supposed to be stunning. Also, there is the famous 'Going to the Sun' road that may be fun to drive too.

Matt H

Looks like some of the obstacles are quite big but it helps when you disengage the stupid.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-fU4bJeMFNQ

Interested parties will need a reliable vehicle with the standard trail kit, front and rear tow points, tow strap, Jack, spare wheel etc.

I will be driving the Mighty Range Rover and my wife (Joy) will likely take her LR3.

B-Red

This is looking interesting Matt. What's the name of the town that the motel is in?
Your date is good too.
I would like to put my name in the hat for this trip. Count me in.

Matt H

The Motel is in a really nice small town called Big Fork. Rooms are nothing fancy but they are clean and comfortable. My kids all loved taking a dip the pool every evening. If we have several folks wanting to stay here I will try to get us a group rate. Looks like it's around $120.00 USD a night.

Here is a link to their website.

http://timbersmotel.com/rooms.cfm/mode/details/id/4320/one-queen-bed

B-Red

I checked the motel Matt. July is almost booked for them. Are the trails east or west from the lake? The west side has few towns on it with more lodging options.

Matt H

July accommodation in that area is always tough. We are almost a year out and most places will be filling up. Especially closer you get to 4th July.

If we were to move the dates to the 3rd week in July (17th-23rd) we have 11 double Queen rooms available at the Timbers Motel right now.

I will phone the manager Monday about getting a group rate and will reserve 5 rooms right away for the above dates. Costs nothing to reserve a room as long as it is canceled at least 24 hours prior to the date booked.

B-Red

That sounds great Matt. Mark me down for one room.

Matt H

Will do.

I'm really looking foreword to it.

Mark

1993 Range Rover County LWB - Ardennes Green
2006 LR3 HSE - Java Black
2008 LR2 HSE - Orkney Grey

1984 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 - Guards Red

Matt H

Ok, I have 5 rooms reserved on my CC. I've negotiated a special rate for our group so let me know if you want a room and I will PM you the promo code so you can confirm and pay directly.
Dates are Sun July 17 to Sat July 23.
The group rate is $120.99+tax per night rather than $140+tax a night regular price.

Trevor

Bit late in replying, was down in Moab. Count me in Matt, and I'll take one of the rooms as well!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Great. Glad to have you along.
I will send you a PM with the booking details.

Emad, I've sent you one too.

B-Red

Seeing that time flys fast, how many are planning on going to this trip so far?

Trevor

I'm in the "tentative" camp currently. I have recently got a bit of an itch to run the AMT again, and if I do that I won't have time for this trip as I am already committed to 2 x Moab trips this year.

I will likely know for sure early into the new year.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!