Cypress Hills March 14th 2015.

Started by Matt H, February 26, 2015, 10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Matt H

The Medicine Hat ALRE chapter (all three of us) are making plans to head up to the Cypress Hills area on Saturday, March 14th, 2015 for a day of mild trails/greenlaning and a picnic.

Cypress Hills boasts the highest point east of the Rocky Mountains before the coast and the scenery is varied and spectacular. Road conditions and weather can be unpredictable this time of year but well within the capability of a standard Land Rover.

Anyone interested in coming along is most welcome.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

hmmmmmm....will have to think about this one ::)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

This would have been possible had this weekend not be special. Can't leave town that weekend.

Plus, cars are in pieces  :o

Have fun.

Red90

I can't make that weekend unfortunately.

I did post it up on the Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/events/317305671796150 and told them to find you here.

It might be an idea to send a note out via the mailing list.  There are not a lot of people on these forums yet.

Matt H

Having trouble emailing the event info to the club mailing list. Will give it another try later.

Hoping for nice weather.

binch

are you using the same email that we have on your contact info?    pm sent your way
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

For anyone interested in attending we are meeting at the Perkin's resteraunt at 9am for breakfast and heading out from there.

Drop me a line if you are thinking of going.

B-Red

Matt H

After a hearty breakfast the full compliment of the Med Hat chapter (all three of us) took to the trails of Cypress Hills for a great day of spring wheeling.

We stopped by Elkwater beach, Reesor Lake and then on to the infamous Gap Road that was not too muddy but did present a challenge to maintain momentum on the uphill sections.

Once on the Sask side we came across snow drifts and Yoda got the 101 properly stuck. We tested his newly repaired hydraulic winch but a seal fail during recovery and although it did get him out its going to need another rebuild.

All in all a fantastic day out with nice weather and great company.

binch

Sounds like a good time had by all!   Any pics???   Sounds like the winch hasn't passed a proper test yet.....hope it's working before the AMT trip ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on March 15, 2015, 11:25 AM

Once on the Sask side we came across snow drifts and Yoda got the 101 properly stuck. We tested his newly repaired hydraulic winch but a seal fail during recovery and although it did get him out its going to need another rebuild.

Yoda had stuff break!? I find that hard to believe  ;D
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Really great day out. Yoda was trail blazing through the drifts and became stuck. The drifts were hard on top for the first 6" and then powder underneath. He buried his axles (on 36" tyres) and decided to test his newly rebuilt winch. It did kinda work. When it did it had enough jam to drag my D1 backwards but the side seal failed and he lost most of the oil.

Quite a windy drive back with Yoda and Simon reporting the use of an entire tank of gas! Despite being loaded with six people the more frugal D1 only used 1/3 tank of diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt H

Shots of Yoda's buried diff's. Bear in mind the 101 runs what is the equivalent of a 36" tyre!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KIDD67