1.2 / 1.4 LT230 to buy/trade for my 1.6

Started by robindawilliams, June 01, 2022, 08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robindawilliams

Hey,

I got a '85 ex-MoD 110 running a 200tdi, looking to buy/trade out my 1.6 LT230 for something a bit higher geared to make highway cruising a little nicer. If you have an old disco one (1.2) or 1.4 LT230 out of a 200/300 and want to sell or trade to gear down for overlanding/offroad hit me up.

Some other things I am looking for:

- Heater blower motor, mine is dying
- Any front 2 seats that aren't military/basic series. Headrests preferred
- Spare wheel for the hood w or w/o tyre.

Red90

I would suggest not doing a 1.2 with a 110.  You will probably be unhappy with first gear.  Which specific gearbox do you have?

Heater fans are not expensive new, but I would first make sure it is now just full of dirt.  They are good at trapping mud and debris.

robindawilliams

Quote from: Red90 on June 01, 2022, 10:51 AM
I would suggest not doing a 1.2 with a 110.  You will probably be unhappy with first gear.  Which specific gearbox do you have?

Heater fans are not expensive new, but I would first make sure it is now just full of dirt.  They are good at trapping mud and debris.

Currently running the military LT77 (51A) gearbox with the low first gear and the LT230 20D (1.667 military) transfer case. On the flat I tend to start in second gear because it wants to redline at 10mph in first haha

Red90

I run a 200TDI/51A/1.211 in my 90. My feeling is most people would not be happy with this in a 110 but that may depend on you.

Also keep in mind that is that is the original 51A it will be a C or D suffix and will be dying one day behind the TDI. With that in mind most would switch to the TDI boxes when it fails and that makes the first gear issue worse.

headdamage

I find the 1.222 ratio LT230 is just ok with 255/85/16 tires and a military spec LT77 in my 200tdi 90. Might be too steep for a 110.

binch

I have the 1.2 with my R380, in my 110 with a 200tdi.   I run the standard 235/85R16.   for 2/3's of the year I'm running on my Michelin XLT ice radials, which a very light compared to my offroad BFG KM2's on wolf rims.   They are MUCH HEAVIER but they are ment for offroad.   For the 95% of the time I'm on paved roads I really like the set up.   But if I were to consider pulling any kind of trailer or very heavy loads I think I would prefer the 1.4 ratio lt230.

As it is....I spend most of the time with it empty or lightly loaded and on the highway it easily pulls along at 110km/h and the ice radial are smooth and quiet.    Just quiet enough to really let the clacking noise of the 200tdi to shine through LOL     But I'm also getting 750 to 800km on a tank of fuel if try hard.

There are times I do miss not having the Bo-Low 1st gear for crawling slowly over things.   But I'm okay with that for now. ;)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I ran 1.6 for few years then switched to 1.4. My 110 is more used for off-roading with military tires. I won't entertain the 1.2. As for highway speeds, I prefer the 80-90km range as a maximum. Easier on the ears with road noise and engine noise.

robindawilliams

Would anyone here happen to have some suggestions on putting a 1.4 TD5 (43D) transfer case into a 1.667 ex mod truck?

I know I need to solve for the transducer but from reading a bit online it might be easier to just put a VDO digital speedo in the truck that'll match the transfer case as the gearing might not match on the speedo cable drive?

Red90

Sure. A VDO speedo is much nicer all around.  You'll want a 4" SingleViu gauge.

If you are keeping the lever actuated parking brake, you will need to drill and tap for the mounting bolts on the transfer case.