Wiring Harness for 109 with alternator.

Started by dijansmith, May 26, 2021, 04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dijansmith

Hello, I am on the hunt for a 109 wiring harness' My LR has been converted to NEG ground and has an alternator in it already.
Anyone have a lead local on one or two?

ugly_90

I only know the defender harnesses, and would expect that good used series harnesses are getting rare due to age and use.

Have you checked pricing and availability from autosparks.co.uk ?

dijansmith

Wow!  I just looked at their pricing... That is a lot. Anyone have good success with www.britishwiring.com?

ugly_90

What is "alot"? A few hundred GBP? You're paying for the parts and significant labour for Autosparks to build you the fresh harness from new materials. You can do it all yourself and save a bit, but you might wish you hadn't.

Many of the connector components needed to build or repair harnesses might be ordered from companies like vehicleproducts.co.uk, 12voltplanet.co.uk, etc. Princess Auto, NAPA and Greggs Distributors may have supply of some of it as well.

If you're only doing a rough rebuild, then recycling an old used harness makes sense. You might find yourself painted into a corner though when trying to rehab wiring that's too aged or weathered though.

dijansmith

Ugly_90,
I might stick to my first approach and disassemble to the frame and assess what I will eventually need. Kind of a triage of sorts. Thanks for the input though and if you hear of anyone in the near future having one and want to get rid of it,  please let them know you know a guy..

Cheers,

Dion

dijansmith

So of the two Britishwiring and Autosparks, has anyone had a bad experience with a harness they purchased?

ugly_90

I used Autosparks for a chassis harness, it is excellent, and worth the several hundred dollars I paid for it.

It won't be their first rodeo making up a new series harness for you.

I seem to recall that some 60's-70's muscle car guys in the US would go so far as to source a rust free body from a dry US desert area, but then buy the used electrical system elsewhere due to the caustic environment and sun of the desert, neither of which preserve wiring.

I don't know where you would find a "brand new, used harness" elsewhere, maybe a guy has a bag of them, or there's a graveyard somewhere? dunno.

dijansmith

Thank you, I am considering Autosparks for the harness.

Regards,

Dion

TimberPig

I believe British Wiring is actually selling Autosparx product as a dealer.  Probably best to go direct to the source, cut out the middleman and any added costs/delays.

dijansmith

Thanks TimberPig... I got a quote / request into Autosparks a little while ago.