series 1 1957 soft top availability

Started by craigellis, May 25, 2020, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigellis

looking for green canvas top for an 88 inch series one or information on a good supplier
or canvas for a repair of the top section

binch

Which canvas top would you like?     

Depending on how bad the existing damage is and where the damage is located you might be able to get it repaired locally.

But if it's more then a hour or two's work then you might be just as well off buying a new one.

https://www.britpart.com/parts/seats-and-trim/hoods?f=|45
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

If it's a series 1 canvas top you are after you need to contact undercover covers in the uk or exmoor trim.  The former has been getting the best reviews.   

This supplier in the Uk has the undercover cover hoods.  (Also known as a canvas tilt)

http://wwspares.co.uk/index.php/2012-12-05-11-07-05/manufacturer/undercover-covers

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

binch

There's a good bit of info to know....thanks!!!
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

Hi Bill
You are welcome. Best wishes Ian

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Rambler

Hi Craig.
Also being the owner of a 1957 Series 1 88", I'm curious to hear more about your Land Rover.  If you have any photos you'd like to share, please do. 
Mine is RAF grey blue in colour, a 2,0l petrol hardtop.
My chassis number is 114702722 C8

It would be nice to learn  how far apart these are on the production line back in 57.
Cheers
Ian

SOLD:

Lightningpower

Rambler

SOLD:

Matt H

I've had a few 57's pass through my hands. I still own 11400319. An 88" Himpy Yellow hard top.

At one time I also owned 114703574 and 114703576! Both Himpy Yellow just one vin number apart. Both needed a total restoration but were complete. Sold them to a guy who's farther owned 114703575! Three 57 Series One Land Rovers with conservative serial numbers still in existence after all these years. Amazing.

He pushed a hard bargain and didn't tell me about 75 until we shook hands on the deal thinking I'd hold out for a better price if I knew there were three Series Ones with consecutive serial numbers still alive.

Thing is, if I had known I would have sold them for less just to help group them together. He didn't say as much but I've been around the classic car gig long enough to recognize the guy was a dealer/speculator and would sell them on for a profit. I got what I wanted out of them anyway so no hard feelings. If there was enough meat still left on the bone for him to make money then more power to him. I've done the same thing myself.

Last I heard all three were bound for the UK.

Also have/have had several 86"s a 107" and an 80".
Gotta love a Series One Land Rover.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Rambler

Thank you Matt,
That is great to learn about the Series one's you have had and still own.  I believe I read a story about those 3 S1's in classic Land Rover a few years back.  Sadly, it was a dealer who sold them on to another dealer in the UK.  At least the 3 stayed together and were destined for a full restoration.
All the best,
Ian

SOLD:

Matt H

Hey Ian, yours looks to be extremely similar to the 57s I've have/had in specification. All mine had the one piece doors that I understand is fairly unique to the Canadian market later in Series One production run. Although yours is now grey check to see if it was once Yellow.
Apparently, Land Rover North America had it's headquarters in Toronto, Canada in 1957!

I may have a spare windshield frame if yours is beyond repair but I'd try to save it. Doesn't look too bad.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Rambler

Hi Mattk

Thank you, that is good to hear about the parts your still have.  my 57 is a c8 designation, so had the winterized package of interior trim, one piece doors, etc. but oddly not the rare early fresh air heater (no sign of this ever having been fitted on the bulkhead),  the last owner painted the bulkhead in grey primer, but the rest is thr original RAF blue grey, looking very faded, but some interior panels still have this as the blue grey (behind dash, under seat,). I believe when I last checked this came in via Vancouver

I have yet to see how bad the damage is to the hard top and upper front winshield.  The vehicle is essential rust free, especially the chassis. 

I am on the look out for new wings/fenders, but the first priority is getting her running again with new brakes, wiring loom, and such.  Then cosmetic after.

All the best
Ian.

SOLD:

craigellis

craigellis

You cannot view this attachment.

Rambler

Oh wow, your land rover looks very smart.  Thanks for sharing this and the chassis number. 

SOLD: