Author Topic: Defender TD5 Rebuild  (Read 7404 times)

grizzlychicken

  • Club Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 152
  • Club Membership: Yes
  • Vehicle: 2001 Defender TD5 110
Defender TD5 Rebuild
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2021, 12:20 AM »
Well now onto door gaps! Or is it still working on my door gaps. Maybe scratching my head about door gaps?....?

My constantly evolving strategy is relatively simple. The b Pilar has to first be square to the sill rail (mine isn’t yet :()


Then I’ll adjust the shims on the bulkhead and use my stick gauge to make sure width is right.


That should sort out the front.
Then hoping the door gap on the c Pilar will just fall into place!
Here is my b Pilar gaps without the b Pilar square:

A Pilar pretty good gap


And c Pilar is bad but will change when I adjust the b Pilar. This is with the correct gap between the door and the b Pilar (not like the photo above)

Like this:



I am hoping I don’t have to drill the spot welds out on the c Pilar and move it forward for door gap.
I think this is pretty much the fussiest part of the build and will be the most obvious if i balls
It up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ugly_90

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 497
  • Vehicle: 1987 LR 90, many other projects.
Re: Defender TD5 Rebuild
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2021, 06:52 AM »
It looks like you're missing the rubber/foam door seal for final adjustments. You're best to reuse old door seal until after painting.

grizzlychicken

  • Club Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 152
  • Club Membership: Yes
  • Vehicle: 2001 Defender TD5 110
Re: Defender TD5 Rebuild
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2021, 10:55 PM »
It looks like you're missing the rubber/foam door seal for final adjustments. You're best to reuse old door seal until after painting.
Yup I still have those and using them to help with the gaps! Good tip


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzlychicken

  • Club Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 152
  • Club Membership: Yes
  • Vehicle: 2001 Defender TD5 110
Re: Defender TD5 Rebuild
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2021, 11:00 PM »
Small things! Couldn’t find one of my door hinge nut plates in my super organized filing system ;)
So decided to weld one up rather than paying for the replacement. Made it from some scraps I had lying around.

Used the other nut plate and some m8 bolts to align the nuts on the plate for welding so it will line up with the hinge.


Ugly welds but will work a treat :)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzlychicken

  • Club Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 152
  • Club Membership: Yes
  • Vehicle: 2001 Defender TD5 110
Re: Defender TD5 Rebuild
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2021, 09:13 PM »
So I worked a bit more on my door gaps tonight. From my last post you can see the main issue here was the b Pilar wasn’t square. The bulkhead is now square to the sill rail so have to fix the b pilar.  I don’t have a porta power so just set up a come along to nudge the Pilar straight



I set this up and decided I wanted to reinforce the sill rail to stop it flexing too much so clamped another piece of steel to it.


Looking at this setup I wasn’t happy with the line of pull of the come along or where the fulcrum of force would be so added an outrigger piece of steel that I bolted to the come along to make the pull more horizontal in the b Pilar. With the end of it sitting next to the b Pilar at the base that would create the force fulcrum I need.


And success!
Good door gaps now on the right!





Next I need to tackle the left side!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binch

  • Club Admin
  • ******
  • Posts: 2416
  • Club Membership: Yes
  • Vehicle: 110, RRC, D11
Re: Defender TD5 Rebuild
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2021, 09:56 PM »
ahhhhh, she's coming together nicely  ;)
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

  • Club Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 152
  • Club Membership: Yes
  • Vehicle: 2001 Defender TD5 110
Defender TD5 Rebuild
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2021, 10:48 PM »
Did some work in the left door gaps.






Door gaps not great on this side either.

So started by checking the b Pilar again and it looks nice and square.


The issue on this side looks like the bulkhead not being square to the rail.

So took out a shim and adjusted the bulkhead bracket bit that didn’t quite do it. So decided to tweak the bulkhead with the come along again.


That worked a treat!




Doors are square front to back and just have to get the doors square laterally now but think that can be handled with shims after I paint.




Will check the rear safari door gap next then tear it down for paint.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk