Defender TD5 Rebuild

Started by grizzlychicken, April 18, 2020, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzlychicken

So I've been trying to get the bulkhead buttoned down. It seems that if a defender was a person the bulkhead would be the spine with the complex nervous system weaving through it. My nervous system is a little messy to start:

Now that I feel the bulkhead is solid from a corrosion resistance point of view I've been installing and tidying up the bulkhead wiring. It's pretty interesting all the splices that happens around the fuse box. It takes time to trace them all and make sure it's all up to snuff.
My thought is to have at least all the wiring pulled and sheathed before I soundproof and reinstall the dash.

This means some planning is in order as I'm installing:
-power windows
-power doors
-heated seats
-Upgraded stereo head unit with amp
-center console rear A/c
-driving lights
-backup cam
-heated screen and mirrors
-webasto coolant heater
-eberspacher auxiliary cab heater
(I know.......not very minimalist ;)

Wiring diagrams a must!

Nothing like a sharpie and blue shop cloth to keep things straight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binch

I do love watching the life being put back into a landy!    Just bring a big smile to my face......

;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Love that wiring diagram. Much better than my method of committing it to memory and almost immediately forgetting.

My mind is like a steel trap...I've just lost the key!!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

grizzlychicken

Got my rear hitch mount back from the powder coater and it's dead sexy!

I even enlisted my brother-in-law to help tidy up my ugly welds.

binch

ha ha ha....isn't that what family's for?!?!??! ;D
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Sure is Bill :)

So just working on some design ideas. Guess what I'm building?

Well see if this comes together.

grizzlychicken

So worked some more on the electrics today. It was power locks day in the shop.
Started by adding the lock function that is equipped but not installed from the alarm system. Had to rewire/add connectors to the pin outs.

Pin outs 2 and 3 of the green connector on the Lucas alarm triggers locking and unlocking.

So next to the green wire on the green plug we're 2 empty pin out slots which are pin 2/3 for the door locks.

So added the square connectors:

Pink/grey and orange /grey should do the trick.

Then ran these to where the main switch for my door locks will be located and now roughed in ready to go!

I had the actuators installed on the doors before stripping it down but plan to tidy up the door wiring a bit as the action previously on the doors wasn't great.

Next onto cruise control!

binch

Quote from: grizzlychicken on April 24, 2021, 01:00 AM

An auxiliary heater in a cubby box...or an on board soft Ice cream dispenser   ;D
Cheers, Bill

mike.heathcote

@Bill: my vote is that it's a stereo in a cubby box. 

This is going to be an amazing truck when it's done - I love the pictures!!

GR8PMKN

I wish I had your wiring knowledge in place of my wiring-phobia.  Your build is amazing.  Power windows, locks, and cruise control are on my to-do list, but I don't even know where to begin.   ???

That's a problem for future me!  ;D

grizzlychicken

Quote from: binch on April 25, 2021, 10:17 PM
Quote from: grizzlychicken on April 24, 2021, 01:00 AM

An auxiliary heater in a cubby box...or an on board soft Ice cream dispenser   ;D

Quote from: mike.heathcote on April 26, 2021, 03:00 PM
@Bill: my vote is that it's a stereo in a cubby box. 

This is going to be an amazing truck when it's done - I love the pictures!!

Ha close Bill! You are on the right track when you are thinking something cold. And Mike is kind of right too.
Just toying with the idea of scratch building a center console ac and incorporate a subwoofer into it :) the ducking will be 3D printed if it works out, and may even 3 d print the whole thing, glue it together and then leather wrap it. I have a printer at home so shouldn't be too bad once I have the design worked out.
The factory ac center consoles are so expensive I can't do that. But just picked up an evaporator from a Dodge Grand Caravan rear ac system which is nice and compact and have the old defender blower motor so if I can get that assembled as a unit with the right valves and splicing it should work great!

This is definitely a work in progress though.....

grizzlychicken

Quote from: GR8PMKN on April 26, 2021, 03:58 PM
I wish I had your wiring knowledge in place of my wiring-phobia.  Your build is amazing.  Power windows, locks, and cruise control are on my to-do list, but I don't even know where to begin.   ???

That's a problem for future me!  ;D
Lol. I think it's really just googles wiring knowledge and lots of time staring at a bunch of wires scratching my head trying to work it out.... the locks and windows aren't too bad. You just have to figure out where to mount it all. I did that piece a few years back when I got my defender but need to fine tune things as the locking mech was binding a bit and not locking all the doors. Think I need to change the mounting point when I reinstall it on my new doors.

For the cruise I had to update my ecu to a post 2002 unit to be able to activate the factory cruise option. I'll do a little blog post when I'm further along the install. But the ecu's with an NNNxxxxx number have flashable memory so you can update the tuning file too as well as turn on the cc features. My old ecu was an MSBxxxxxx serial so analog I think and not flashable through a nanocom, which is what I have been using.

Happy to help if you need a hand sometime :)

GR8PMKN

Happy to help if you need a hand sometime :)

[/quote]

Be careful with offers like that!  haha.  I just replaced both of my front seatbelts and hardware today... a far cry from your wiring wizardry!

binch

I replaced the blower motor and squirrel cage fan with a unit from an old GMC or Chev van (can't recall which).   But they were almost direct fit replacements in my 110's heater.   All I had to do was enlarge the hole in the heater body a small mount to get the larger fan in.   End result was a lot more air through the heater.   One day I'll enlarge the opening from the heater into the bulk head ahhahahhahahah

Keep up the good work...it's making for a wonderful read!!!!
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on April 26, 2021, 10:09 PM
End result was a lot more air through the heater.   One day I'll enlarge the opening from the heater into the bulk head ahhahahhahahah!

The biggest restriction, by far, in the stock heating system is the lower dash vents.  They are quite a bit smaller than all of the other passages. The bulkhead hole is around 30% larger so is not a restriction unless you open the dash vents.  If you have the lower dash out, it is an easy job to enlarge the holes, the flaps and make bigger deflectors.