Fire Ban Province Wide in Effect

Started by Red90, April 14, 2020, 01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I am copying this from a post by Safari Club International-Red Deer District. This was based on a meeting they had With the Minister.

2. Fires ban and ATV ban is gone and will only be brought back in specific areas if hazard exists

The majority of fires are started end of April to end of May. He stated  with limited access to out of province fire fighters we don't want to have a issue with fires the province can't handle. I sure appreciate that.

3. Bill 10 was a small change to a existing bill that only allowed The province to give fines to people that were traveling and didn't self quarantine for the 14 days. The part in the health act that allows government officials to come into your home without a warrant was 30-40 years old and had nothing to do with this government.

The ability to drive up on trails were allowed is back. However fire bans still in effect.

binch

Quote from: B-Red on April 20, 2020, 06:38 PM
I am copying this from a post by Safari Club International-Red Deer District. This was based on a meeting they had With the Minister.

2. Fires ban and ATV ban is gone and will only be brought back in specific areas if hazard exists

The majority of fires are started end of April to end of May. He stated  with limited access to out of province fire fighters we don't want to have a issue with fires the province can't handle. I sure appreciate that.

3. Bill 10 was a small change to a existing bill that only allowed The province to give fines to people that were traveling and didn't self quarantine for the 14 days. The part in the health act that allows government officials to come into your home without a warrant was 30-40 years old and had nothing to do with this government.

The ability to drive up on trails were allowed is back. However fire bans still in effect.

#2 and your last statement partially contradict each other....with the fire ban

Bill 10....small change?    Ok Toto....let's follow the yellow brick road to OZ were the great wizard will make things all peachy and roses now   LOL ::)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: B-Red on April 20, 2020, 06:38 PM

I generally don't mind it when folks tow party lines. Most subject matter does fit within political ideological parameters that define peoples view of government.

But there are limits to that and always should be. Fundamental rights and freedoms and functioning democratic institutions are what underpin our society. Infringements upon them by ANY government need to be called out regardless of party. Bill 10 is absolutely an example of that.

Read it. Completely. There is nothing in this Bill that is a "small change."
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

I wanted to clarify the SCI in not affiliated with any political party. It's more towards promoting hunting and outdoorsman sports. It does carry conservative views however both here and the US.

Red90

Quote from: binch on April 20, 2020, 10:44 PM#2 and your last statement partially contradict each other....with the fire ban

The Minister of Agriculture and Forestry rescinded the OHV ban order and stated that he would phase in the bans as soon as the snow cover has melted in each area.  He made no public announcement about this beyond a Facebook post. The order itself simply vanished from the government's page. Fire bans are still in place (different minister and different order).

binch

Quote from: B-Red on April 21, 2020, 06:32 AM
I wanted to clarify the SCI in not affiliated with any political party. It's more towards promoting hunting and outdoorsman sports. It does carry conservative views however both here and the US.

Trophy Hunters.....aka glorified poachers. 8)
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

Coming from British stock one likely hales from a long line of poachers due to the common man not having legal hunting rights in the good old days. Not to defend trophy poaching but the odd rabbit to toss in the pot is ok. I'm wondering if poaching for meat might become a thing here as the year goes on.

B-Red

Who are called poachers?
A poacher is someone who breaks the law to hunt or fish. ... Someone who captures wild animals illegally is also a poacher

On the other hand
Trophy hunting is the selective hunting of a particular wild game animal, usually older males, because that particular animal has a desirable characteristic, such as large antlers/horns. ... Normally, trophy hunters target older animals that may be past breeding age.

So, completely different

binch

One is considered legal because they get a "permit" and pay enormous sums of money, for the right to high grade the stock all for the purpose of putting a stuffed head on a wall and pounding their chest.    A person can do the same thing with a camera and the best part of it is many people can put a picture of the magnificent beast on their walls. 

It can be justified a million ways to sunday but it all comes down to serving no other purpose then to inflate an individual's. 

Don't get me wrong...I'm not against hunting.   But there are good hunters who use almost all of the animal and will cull from any age group.   And then there are the questionable hunters just want to blow something away for the sake of hearing their gun go bang, from a good safe distance.    >:(
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

I took two trophy does last year, good eating.

Red90

I got a response from the minister's office.

QuoteRecreational OHV Restriction
What changes have been made to the recreational OHV restriction?
There is currently no OHV Ban in Alberta.
We will be monitoring conditions regionally and will reintroduce OHV restrictions, only if necessary.
While wildfire prevention remains our highest priority, current weather conditions in the Forest Protection Area mean the fire danger level is currently low.
Albertans can continue to enjoy using their off-highway vehicles, including snow machines, on public land in the Forest Protection Area until conditions change.
Future updates can be found here: https://www.albertafirebans.ca/

What can I do to increase safety while driving an OHV?
Please remember, even when you are permitted to use an off-highway vehicle, it is important to maintain fire safety awareness.
It is crucial to stop and check off-highway vehicles for debris and the ground for any debris that may have fallen.
Before you ride, clean any debris that has built up near the exhaust and muffler, under the seat, in wheel wells and around the engine.
Always carry a small fire extinguisher, a collapsible shovel and water. These tools can help extinguish a wildfire and safely dispose of hot debris.

Who can I talk to if I'm unsure if there's an OHV restriction in place?
Off-highway vehicle restrictions in the Forest Protection Area will be reintroduced if there is an increase in the hazard level, and that will be communicated in the affected area.
If you have questions about whether you may use an off-highway vehicle, call 1 (866) FYI-FIRE or visit albertafirebans.ca.

What is an OHV?
An "off-highway vehicle" is a motorized vehicle designed to go beyond defined roadways, including but not limited to:
•   Snow machines;
•   Quads;
•   Side by sides;
•   Dirt bikes;
•   4x4 Jeeps;
•   Pick-up trucks; or
•   Sport utility vehicles.

B-Red

Thank you John for following up with the minister. This is clear. Now we can have a reasonable summer.

headdamage

I don't think "Jeeps" is a legal term.

Red90