Series 109 or 110/Defender

Started by ugly_90, March 10, 2020, 03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I have a friend of mine, a UK veteran, he's looking for a Series 109 or a 110 hardtop this spring in running shape, clear title ready for plates, for under $4K CAD. No SWB will be considered.

At that price, he'll need to have a solid chassis and body, with a running restorable drivetrain, and the paint as-is.

PM me what you have for sale.

binch

Good luck with finding something at that price.   That's more like a non-runner in moderate condition at best. ???
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

He's a pensioner on a budget, and that's all he can do. If he could buy landrovers with payment in barrels of local oil, rather than cash, he'd do well right now.

Today, he was offering the cash equivalent of 186 barrels of WCS Crude Oil for a tired old landrover. At that point of reference, he should be offering less barrels, methinks.

I'm sure someone will have something to cast off around that price at some point. Like the oil, an old Landy is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Red90

If you were really lucky, you could maybe find a SWB, but there is no chance of a LWB. The budget would need to double. 10 years ago, you could do it, but not today.

At $4k, he will either need to choose non runner or beat up / rusty and even that would be really hard to find.

Very few LWB Series were sold in North America, which drives up the price. That and the crazy appreciation of Defenders has pulled up the whole market beyond what makes sense.

Matt H

As another option you can still find a good useable Discovery 1 and a Discovery 2 that needs a little help for that kind of money. If your friend is is an older fellow he may appreciate the increased comfort of the early Discoveries anyway?

I agree $4K is too low low of a budget for those expectations but it doesn't cost anything to ask.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

ugly_90

I did float the idea of the Disco 1, but he didn't bite. While a pensioner, he's not yet so elderly to require one. We worked at BATUS and CFB Wainwright together, he's a Falklands veteran, ex-navy. I'll see what comes up in the coming weeks and months, there may be choppy waves ahead of us in the economy it seems.

Red90

You won't find a better deal ever!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?fbclid=IwAR1ghl4krgB-r-RNSF1Vpr65RE-q4Phb3mTpHwLrsiaqdpxHoOZaTLDfaK8&adId=1490950542&siteLocale=en_CA

I have a 1960?? Land Rover for sale. I cannot find a Vin number. Only a vehicle number as seen in the pictures. The motor is stuck . From sitting I believe. Bought it that way. I cannot tell you anymore history as I have no clue about it. Was going to make it a bush/hunting vehicle. Some body damage. Interior was partly dismantled when I got it. Parts seem to be all there. Asking $999.99

https://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.chassis_numbering.1649.html?fbclid=IwAR2LWOYwM9lPKyl9Ay_xP5p0tsZFgqzBSy5YQ-MG5mGujBpj57CWlOpyRy4
164900516   06 May 1959   06 May 1959   Light Green   Rover, Vancouver

LWB Station Wagon, LHD, Canadian original.

camo388