Sheet of lead

Started by Gardenome, February 18, 2020, 07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

Looking for a small sheet of lead or perhaps copper for a personal matter. Around the size of a piece of copier paper. Anyone happen to have something they would part with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ugly_90

:o unless you're covering up a chunk of cobalt-60, caesium, or kryptonite in your basement, I can't think of a ready use or supply of lead sheeting, it isn't very strong if thin, willl tear and bend easily. handling will be tricky.

You might be able to buy a fresh new unused plate for a storage battery, but i've never seen one that big though, they might exist?

With copper, if you only need this as electrically a sheet, and not blocking x-rays or something, that's easy. it'll be easy and affordable to buy an unetched blank big double sided circuit board. it'll be two thick foils of bright copper between fibreglass.

One of the local scrapyards here allows self-guided tours on Saturdays. They'll usually sell you whatever metals you want, but the lead and copper won't come too cheaply. I sent a buddy of mine over there, he bought an old 1970's generator welder set there cheap, and parted it together with his.

camo388

Sheets of lead was used in the valleys on church roofs in UK.  Just ask Bill to get you some next time he is over there.  ;D

binch

check with Maple leaf metals for the lead sheeting.   It's used in commercial wet rooms (institution showers, locker rooms, etc as a VERY good water proofing membrane behind the finish surfaces.    I used to get it for making my diving weights.   ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Gardenome

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bumpydormobile

Ian
I have some copper you can have, it's about a 24 gauge.  text me tomorrow 780 239 1011

David